11th Parliamentary election
Dhaka-1, Manikganj-2, Bagura-7 have no BNP candidate
Published: 08:44 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 09:43 PM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Neither BNP nor its any alliance partners have any candidate to contest the December-30 national election from Dhaka-1, Manikganj-2 and Bagura-7 seats as the nominations of all the candidates of the party were canceled during scrutiny by the Election Commission.
In Dhaka-1, the nominations of BNP candidates Khandaker Abu Ashfaq and Fahima Hossain Jubilee were trashed by the returning officer.
Contacted, Abu Ashafq said he recently resigned from the post of Nawabganj Upazila Parishad chairman to take part in the national election.
However, the returning officer said his resignation was not accepted. “I'll make an appeal against it.”
Jubilee's nomination was revoked as she was convicted in two cases.
With the cancellation of nominations of Ashfaq and Jubilee, now only two runners--Awami League's Salman F Rahamn and ex-Jatiya Party MP Salam Islam as an independent candidate-- are there in the race.
Salma Islam filed her nomination as an Independent candidate as Jatiya Party did not give her nomination
In Bagura-7, the nomination of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia from Bagura seat was turned down for her conviction in two graft case.
Besides, the Election Commission rejected the nominations of BNP's two other candidates--Morshed Milton and Sarkar Badal-- as both of them were holding the posts of Upazila Chairmen, said district returning officer Foyez Ahmed.
Awami League's candidate Dr. Mostafa Alam Nannu and three independent candidates-Ferdous Ara Khan, Rezaul Karim Bablu and Abdur Razzak- are now in the race as their nomination papers were accepted by the EC.
In Manikganj-2, the nominations BNP candidate Engineer Mainul Islam Khan was declared illegal questioning the authenticity of party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir's signature during the scrutiny.
Another party candidate and SingairUpazila Chairman Abidur Rahman Roman's candidature was also revoked as his resignations letter from the Upazila chairman post was not accepted.
However, the nominations of Awami League candidate singer Mamtaz Begum, Bikolpa Dhara Bangladesh's Golam Sarwar Milon, Bangladesh Tarikat Federation's Mohammad Ferdous Ahmed Asif, and Islami Andolon Bangladesh's Mohammad Ali were announced as valid.
- Fishing banned in Kaptai for 3 months
- Superbugs linked to 80% deaths in Bangladeshi ICUs
- Slower internet for seven days more
- Rana’s bail remain suspend in double murder case
- RK Mission`s disputed teacher expelled
- PM leaves Brunei for home
- Vinicius is finally set to return to action
- Woe to 6 upazilas for Rangamati launch shutdown
- Parliament session begin tomorrow
- Brunei backing Bangladesh in energy sector
- Govt responsibility to ensure expatriates’ welfare: PM
- Consulting firm for Payra port terminal appointed
- Sri Lanka detains Syrian in investigation of blasts
- Only one physician, but in training!
- Innovative child malaria vaccine to be tested
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- Probe report of Abrar’s case May 21
- Panic in class as beehives in school
- 20 gold bars worth Tk 1.15cr recovered at Sylhet airport
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ tomorrow
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband