11th Parliamentary election
Dhaka-1, Manikganj-2, Bagura-7 have no BNP candidate
Published: 08:44 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 09:43 PM, 2 December 2018
Neither BNP nor its any alliance partners have any candidate to contest the December-30 national election from Dhaka-1, Manikganj-2 and Bagura-7 seats as the nominations of all the candidates of the party were canceled during scrutiny by the Election Commission.
In Dhaka-1, the nominations of BNP candidates Khandaker Abu Ashfaq and Fahima Hossain Jubilee were trashed by the returning officer.
Contacted, Abu Ashafq said he recently resigned from the post of Nawabganj Upazila Parishad chairman to take part in the national election.
However, the returning officer said his resignation was not accepted. “I'll make an appeal against it.”
Jubilee's nomination was revoked as she was convicted in two cases.
With the cancellation of nominations of Ashfaq and Jubilee, now only two runners--Awami League's Salman F Rahamn and ex-Jatiya Party MP Salam Islam as an independent candidate-- are there in the race.
Salma Islam filed her nomination as an Independent candidate as Jatiya Party did not give her nomination
In Bagura-7, the nomination of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia from Bagura seat was turned down for her conviction in two graft case.
Besides, the Election Commission rejected the nominations of BNP's two other candidates--Morshed Milton and Sarkar Badal-- as both of them were holding the posts of Upazila Chairmen, said district returning officer Foyez Ahmed.
Awami League's candidate Dr. Mostafa Alam Nannu and three independent candidates-Ferdous Ara Khan, Rezaul Karim Bablu and Abdur Razzak- are now in the race as their nomination papers were accepted by the EC.
In Manikganj-2, the nominations BNP candidate Engineer Mainul Islam Khan was declared illegal questioning the authenticity of party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir's signature during the scrutiny.
Another party candidate and SingairUpazila Chairman Abidur Rahman Roman's candidature was also revoked as his resignations letter from the Upazila chairman post was not accepted.
However, the nominations of Awami League candidate singer Mamtaz Begum, Bikolpa Dhara Bangladesh's Golam Sarwar Milon, Bangladesh Tarikat Federation's Mohammad Ferdous Ahmed Asif, and Islami Andolon Bangladesh's Mohammad Ali were announced as valid.
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’