Details about Nusrat murder case
Published: 01:30 PM, 24 October 2019 Updated: 04:17 PM, 24 October 2019
The court sentenced 16 accused to death for their roles in killing Feni's Sonagazi madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi. The court also fined them Tk 1 lakh each. Judge Md Mamunur Rashed of Feni Women and Child Repression Prevention Tribunal pronounced the verdict around 11:30 am on Thursday. Plaintiff's lawyer M Shahjahan Saju confirmed the information.
On March 27, Nusrat's mother Shirin Akhter lodged a sexual harassment complaint with Sonagazi police station against Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa principal Md Sirajuddaula. Police arrested the principal in the case. Later, Siraj's followers tried to form a public opinion to get him out of jail. They also staged a demonstration demanding the release of Siraj.
On April 3, the killers went to jail to meet Siraj and made a plot at Madrasa dormitory on April 4 to kill Nusrat. Following the plot, Nusrat was set on fire on the rooftop of a Cyclone Centre on her madrasa premises on April 6, by Siraj's followers.
Later, Nusrat was taken to Sonagazi Upazila Health Complex from where she was shifted to Feni 250 Bed District Sadar Hospital. As her condition was so critical, she was taken to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), where she was being under treatment until her death.
On aprin 8, Nusrat’s brother Mahmudul Hasan Noman had filed a case naming eight people, and four other unnamed people, who were wearing burkas during Nusrat murder.
Later on April 10, the sensational murder case handed over to the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI). On that night, Nusrat succumbed to her burn injuries. She gave dying declaration statement before her death. Following the clue of her dying declaration statement, the investigation of the case went ahead and the accused were arrested one by one.
21 people were arrested from different areas of the country in this regard. Among them, 12 of the accused reportedly confessed to their involvement in the killing of Nusrat. On May 29, PBI pressed charges against 16 accused, including Siraj, in the murder case.
On May 13, the Superintendent of Police in Feni SM Jahangir Alam Sarkar was closed for the negligence of duty over the murder. Besides, Moazzem Hossain, the then officer-in-charge of Sonagazi Model Police Station, was suspended in connection with the murder. He was accused of unlawfully interrogating Nusrat and recording it on phone. A video of the interrogation went viral on the social media, prompting a lawyer to file a case against him on April 15 under the Digital Security Act. On June 16, he was arrested.
Trial of the case began on June 27 with recording the testimony of the victim’s brother Mahmudul Hasan Noman. The court recorded statements of 90 witnesses. On September 30, Judge Md Mamunur Rashed of Feni Women and Child Repression Prevention Tribunal set today to pronounce the verdict as both the state and defence concluded their arguments on that day.
- UK Labour makes radical election pitch
- `Humble` Mourinho not planning on big changes at Spurs
- Another cargo flight with 105 mts Egyptian onion lands
- Israel PM Netanyahu charged with corruption
- Event Flow of Kolkata Test
- Nasim asks party men to make AL council success
- President condoles death of Katiadi AL leader Golap Mia
- Tennis Federation GS Golam Morshed fired
- 41st Cairo int`l film gala kicks off at Egypt`s opera house
- Mithila: “There is a word called privacy”
- AI bot beats human in multiplayer game with secret roles
- Syed Rasel named Dhaka Platoon bowling coach
- Why exclusion of PEC candidates not illegal: HC
- Fielding will key point in pink-ball Test: Mominul
- Tahsan new look of Farooki’s “No Land’s Man”
- Nigerian air force destroys Boko Haram’s meeting venue
- Emerging Asia Cup Final to broadcast on TV
- Bourses bounce back
- Don’t pay heed to propaganda: PM
- Bangladesh wins 1st Gold in e-Asia Awards 2019
- Car-Free Street in Uttara!
- BNP failed to wage movement capitalizing onion issue: Quader
- Baby drown in Tangail
- Pope Francis visits Thai Buddhist temple
- Housewife commits suicide
- 22 civilians killed in Syria by Russian-backed government forces
- 89 detained in anti-drug drive in capital
- Players would focus only on cricket: Mominul
- Armed Forces Day celebrated peacefully
- BCB announce women’s T20 squad for SA Games
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Fire breaks out at Rajdhani Super Market
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Myanmar genocide case hearing next month: UN court
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Graduation at 9!
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- Tigers opt to bat
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- International Men’s Day today
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS
- Writ seeking Tk 10 cr compensation for Abrar’s family
- Srijit’s talks on marriage with Mithila
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- Bangladesh now a beggar-free country; says Quader
- Messi-led Argentina arrive in Israel for Uruguay friendly
- Fire burns Rangpur Express (Video)
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Abrar murder: Arrest warrant issued against 4
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- PSC, Ebtedayee terminal exams begin tomorrow
- Amazon appeals $10B Pentagon contract won by Microsoft