Delhi riots: Death toll climbs to 42, red alert issued
Published: 05:31 PM, 28 February 2020
The death toll has climbed to 42 from the violence over the protest of Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) that triggered communal riots in Delhi, the capital of India. More than 300 people were injured in the violence.
A high alert has been issued in Gurugram for ensuring security before Friday prayers. Delhi Police has so far filed 48 FIRs in retaliation. Two special probe teams have been formed to investigate the incidents of violence.
The curfew has been relaxed for a few hours in order to keep the shop open for a while. A red alert has also been issued in Gurugram since the violence started last Sunday.
Meanwhile, Indian Home Minister Amit Shah has met with senior police officials regarding the situation in Delhi. However, he has been criticized for not giving any statement over the violence in the last few days.
In addition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was also silent after the outbreak of violence. Three days after the incident, he called on all to maintain “peace and brotherhood”.
Riots and violence spread in various cities in the northeast of Delhi last Sunday centered the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). Strict restrictions were imposed earlier to bring the situation under control after the violence. The restrictions are expected to relax from Friday.
Meanwhile, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has announced that “the victims from the violence will be compensated”. It has been announced to provide financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh to the deceased elderly family and Rs 5 lakh to the deceased minor families.
The CAA protesters blockade the streets in Zafarabad on Saturday. The rally in favor of CAA has also started on Sunday. Since then, the clash between the two parties began which later triggered into conflict and Delhi became a battleground. The houses and shops of Muslims were attacked and set on fire selectively in various places.
“The situation has improved,” Amit Shah said in a statement. The ban was being relaxed from large gatherings from 4:00 am to 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm as the situation improved, the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs told in a statement.
The Home Ministry said in a statement that “people should not listen to the rumors and do not fall into the trap of the perpetrators who seek to increase communal tensions.” Out of the 203 police stations in Delhi, only 12 police stations i.e. about 4.2 percent of the area, were affected by the riots, the ministry further stated.
Besides, it has been informed that the repair work of the public property has begun by clearing the damaged road in the affected areas on behalf of the East Delhi Municipality. Delhi Police is organizing a peace meeting to maintain peace and communal harmony, the Home Ministry also said adding, “So far, there have been 330 meetings over the situation.”
- BBC broadcasts Islamic sermons in UK as mosques remain shut
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 87,000
- Lockdown imposed in Khulna
- Infected physician sent to Dhaka from Sylhet
- 3 more infected with coronavirus in Chattogram
- Dengue claims 254 Indonesian lives amid coronavirus
- PM’s gift distributed among 1150 auto-rickshaw drivers
- Six reasons to why men prefer living alone
- Jamalpur under complete lockdown
- Another infected with coronavirus in Jamalpur
- Red flags on 20 houses in Chandpur
- All Rohingya camps ‘lockdown’
- Erdogan tweeted greeting for Shab-e-Barat
- 15-member medical team arriving from China
- 7 samples collected for coronavirus test in Kazipur
- Narsingdi set to lockdown from tomorrow
- 29 fined for violating ‘stay home’ rules in capital
- Agrani Bank officer infected; principal branch locked down
- Youth held for spreading rumors over coronavirus on Facebook
- Over 3 lakh people recovered from coronavirus
- Kopotakkho entering locality by breaching embankment
- Stokes becomes Wisden leading cricketer of the year
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India