Decision on Rohingya genocide soon: ICJ president
Published: 11:20 AM, 13 December 2019 Updated: 03:23 PM, 13 December 2019
Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf, the president of the International Court of Justice (ICJ)
After a third day hearing on Thursday, Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf, the president of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) said that the decision on the Rohingya genocide will be announced soon.
“The court will inform both parties as soon as possible,” he said.
Myanmar’s State Councilor Aung San Suu Kyi presented arguments in favor of Myanmar on the third day of the trial in the ICJ located at Hague, Netherlands.
Suu Kyi said they do not want internationalization of the matter. She wants the opportunity of trial in the country’s military court.
She said in her final petition that the Gambia case should be dismissed. She also sought the rejection of the plea for interim action.
Suu Kyi claims that her government is working to establish harmony and they want to continue. “We want that opportunity to the court,” she said.
After August 25, 2017, Rohingyas took shelter in Bangladesh in the face of brutal torture of the Myanmar Army. Currently, the number of Rohingyas registered in 34 shelters in Ukhiya and Teknaf around 1 million.
Abubacarr Marie Tambadou, Gambia’s Minister of Justice and Attorney General in President Adama Barrow’s cabinet, summarized the Rohingya genocide in the presence of Aung San Suu Kyi on the first day of the hearing on Tuesday. “It is not too late to redeem to the worldview,” he said.
Justice Minister of Gambia also said that this court alone can restore peace and raise hope. “Let ICJ tell Myanmar that they should stop killing the Rohingya children now and end its brutality.”
The Rohingya welcomed the Gambia statement.
- India clinch ODI series over Australia
- SpaceX to simulate astronaut ejection in final test
- Unidentified body found in Pirojpur
- Over 3 lakh post vacant at ministries
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Joypurhat
- Unauthorized clinics increasing in Rangpur city
- Terrorist detained with arms in Joypurhat
- Russia supports Iran`s permanent membership in SCO
- Channels to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- EU may face ‘terror threats’ if Libyan govt falls: Erdogan
- PM for expanding number of fast track projects
- Housewife killed in Dinajpur road crash
- 5 held in anti-narcotic drive in capital
- Drug dealer detained in Chattogram
- Benefits of using lemon water in bath
- Sumon plays Assistant Police Commissioner role
- Revised routine for SSC exams published
- Motorcyclist killed in Naogaon road crash
- PM takes responsibility of ailing Andrew Kishore
- Bangladesh into Bangabandhu Gold Cup semis
- Mobile operators aren’t solving even half of the complaints
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in B’baria
- Papan to visit Pakistan with cricketers
- Make ‘smashed pickle-eggplant’ with in 5min
- 24 devotees died in two-phase Ijtema
- Shakib distributes blanket to poor
- Facebook sorry for mistranslation of Xi Jinping’s name
- Taposh gets huge response from city dwellers
- 7 Missing in Nepal snowfall
- 8 dead in blaze at Czech asylum for mentally ill
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- Protests in Iran demanding Khamenei`s resignation