Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
Published: 09:22 AM, 1 April 2020 Updated: 09:23 AM, 1 April 2020
The death toll from the novel coronavirus has surpassed 42,000 in the world, according to data from WorldoMeters.
As of Wednesday morning, a total of 42,151 people have died from the new coronavirus outbreak in the world. Besides, more than 855,000 people have been confirmed to have the virus, and at least 178,000 have recovered.
Meanwhile, in the United States, the death toll from the coronavirus has surpassed the official tally in China, with more than more 3,800 fatalities recorded. That means the US now has the third-highest death toll after Italy and Spain, and the highest number of coronavirus cases in the world with more than 188,500.
Further restrictions on movement are being considered in the US to curb the spread of the virus, with the country now reporting twice the number of cases as China where the outbreak began late last year.
In Italy, the death toll from the virus has climbed by 837 to 12,428, the Civil Protection Agency said, with the daily tally rising, albeit slightly, for a second day running. The number of new cases was broadly steady, growing by 4,053 against 4,050 on Monday, and bringing total infections since the outbreak came to light on February 21 to 105,792.
Besides, Spain's coronavirus death toll rose by 849 cases overnight to 8,189, the highest jump in fatalities since the start of the epidemic, the health ministry said. The total number of infections rose to 94,417 from 85,195 the previous day.
France reported its highest daily number of deaths from coronavirus since the epidemic began, saying 499 more people had died in the hospital to bring the toll to 3,523. There are now 22,757 people hospitalised in France with COVID-19, with 5,565 of them in intensive care.
Britain has reported a record daily coronavirus toll of 381, more than double the number of deaths posted in the previous 24 hours. "As of 5 pm (1600 GMT) on 30 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 1,789 have sadly died," the health ministry said on its Twitter page, up from 1,408 on Monday. The number of confirmed cases rose by 14 percent to 25,150 as of Tuesday at 0800 GMT, the Department for Health and Social Care said.
The Netherlands has reported 175 new deaths from the coronavirus, bringing its total number of fatalities to 1,039. Meanwhile, the number of confirmed infections increased by 845 to 12,595, the Netherlands' National Institute for Health said.
Meanwhile, Iran's health ministry announced 141 new deaths from coronavirus overnight, bringing the total number of fatalities to 2,898.
"In the past 24 hours, there has been 3,111 new cases of infected people. Unfortunately, 3,703 of the infected people are in a critical condition," Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur told state TV.
In Turkey, more than 200 people have died from COVID-19 so far. With 2,704 more cases of the novel coronavirus, the total has reached 13,531.
- Global coronavirus death toll surpasses 393,000
- Fire at Gazi Bhaban in the capital doused
- Govt is working hard to keep people safe: PM
- Arctic oil spill prompts Russia`s Putin to declare emergency
- Multi-storey building at Lalbagh catches fire
- Killing of pregnant elephant triggered mass outrage in India
- Transport leaders, workers agreed to stop extortion
- Pakistan’s furious warning to arch-rival India
- Teen-girl Adury changed to male naturally
- Interpol’s help will be sought to nab fugitives in abroad
- Grameenphone CEO meets BSEC Chairman
- Shoaib Akhtar accused of cybercrime
- Section 144 imposed in Sangsad Bhaban area
- 60 more contract COVID-19 in Gazipur
- Lightning kills 7 in 5 districts
- 6.5 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia
- A physician and two more die of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Law Minister not infected by COVID-19: ministry
- Government staff getting treatment of COVID-19 at SKH
- Farin writing stories in lockdown time
- Maradona extends contract with Gimnasia
- Bus crash shatters a father’s dream
- Cumilla records 105 new COVID-19 cases including doctors
- Another Bangladeshi dies from coronavirus in Saudi
- Another police constable dies of COVID-19
- Facebook IDs involved in racism spread will be closed
- Writ challenging public transport fare-hike removed from agenda
- Biman offers charter flight at Tk3 lakh
- NSTU’s teacher Dr. Firoz Ahmed, wife contracted COVID-19
- Veteran Indian film director Basu Chatterjee dies
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare