Death toll hits 16 in Pakistan’s train collision; 84 injured
Published: 05:31 PM, 11 July 2019
At least 16 people were killed while 84 others reported injured when a passenger train, the Akbar Express, collided with a freight train at the Walhar Railway Station in Southern Pakistan, Sadiqabad on Thursday morning, officials said.
Rahim Yar Khan Deputy Commissioner (DC) Jamil Ahmed Jamil said all passengers onboard the train, which was headed to Quetta, had been removed from the wreckage and track clearance operations were underway.
Earlier, Jamil had said that heavy machinery was being used to remove passengers who were stuck in the train, adding that they were being provided with food and water.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Imran Khan ordered authorities to provide the best possible medical care to the victims and said he was saddened by the news.
Khan ordered Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad to "take emergency steps to counter decades of neglect of railway infrastructure" and ensure safety standards.
A police spokesperson said that police, rescue officials and other relevant agencies were busy in the rescue operations. Authorities said the Pakistan Army was also taking part in the rescue efforts.
He said that ambulances from various areas in the district had started reaching the site of the incident in order to shift the injured to DHQ Sadiqabad and Sheikh Zayed Hospital in Rahim Yar Khan.
The spokesperson said that as soon as they received information about the accident, Sadiqabad ASP Dr Hafeezur Rehman Bugti and a large contingent of police had reached the site of the incident.
Rahim Yar Khan DPO Umar Farooq Salamat said that based on initial reports, when the signal changed on the track, the passenger train went on to the loop line where a freight train was parked resulting in the accident.
Prime Minister Imran Khan offered his condolences to the families of the victims.
Authorities said Pakistan's army was also taking part in the rescue efforts.
Train accidents in Pakistan are often the result of poor railway infrastructure and official negligence.
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son`s body recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- DU admission test in new method
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque