Death toll from Equatorial Guinea blasts soars 98
Published: 12:11 PM, 9 March 2021
The explosions took place shortly afternoon in front of a military base in Bata, the main city of Equatorial Guinea, on Monday; Photo: Collected
The death toll from a series of explosions that rocked a military camp in Equatorial Guinea has risen to 98, the BBC reported citing the concerned authorities.
The BBC reported on Tuesday that another 615 people had been injured. 299 of them were admitted to the hospital.
The explosions took place shortly afternoon in front of a military base in the country’s main city of Bata. Authorities have blamed “mismanagement of dynamite stocks” and “garbage burning of local farmers” for the accident.
Volunteers rushed to the spot and conducted rescue work all day on Monday. Initially, an estimated 31 deaths were reported, but later “three times” as many deaths were reported. Three children were rescued from the spot and taken to the hospital.
The country’s president, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, said every house and building in the city was badly damaged in the explosion. In a statement, he blamed the incident on “negligence” on the part of those involved in the preservation and care of dynamite.
The president further said that the fire started as local farmers did not put out the fire to clear the cropland.
He appealed for international assistance to deal with the damage.
Meanwhile, the country’s health minister has sent multiple tweets urging health workers to visit Bata Regional Hospital. He said the injured needed a lot of blood. Those who are interested in donating blood should contact.
Three hospitals have been allotted for the treatment of critical and very critical injuries, the health minister also said.