Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
Published: 11:35 AM, 26 February 2020 Updated: 04:23 PM, 26 February 2020
Ongoing protests in Delhi; Photo: Collected
The death toll has climbed to 21 from the clash between the protesters and supporters of the Citizenship Amendment Act in Delhi, the capital of India. In addition, more than 200 people, including a child, were injured.
According to news reports released by the country’s media on Tuesday, the clash that started since Monday is gradually widespread. About 70 of the injured have been identified as having been shot in the body.
Ajit Doval, the country’s national security adviser, visited the violence areas in Delhi that night and met the top police officials.
Union Cabinet members also held a meeting to review the violent situation in the capital.
Home Minister Amit Shah held three meetings in the last 24 hours over the widespread violence. IPS officer SN Srivastava was present at the meeting and also appointed as the special police commissioner on Tuesday.
Section 144 has been issued in 10 important places of Delhi, where the protest-clash turned into battlefields. The administration has also ordered the closure of all schools in east and northeast Delhi.
Violence broke out in northeast Delhi just hours before US President Donald Trump landed in Delhi on Monday.
Earlier, the Home Ministry said in a statement that the situation in Delhi was “under control”. Paramilitary troops and police have been deployed there to keep the situation normal.
- Former Marseille boss Pape Diouf dies of coronavirus
- Mass gatherings in relief distribution!
- Holiday expansion notice issued
- Riverbed covered with red carpet of chilli
- No Patient at Chandpur ICDDRB
- Child dies of fever, 6 families under quarantine in Jhalakathi
- Barsha Baran event at Ramna Batamul postponed
- 60 Australian newspapers to stop printing
- Canadian thriller ‘Corona’ touted first COVID-19 movie
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- BNP is not with people in coronavirus fight
- Legendary jazz trumpeter Wallace Roney dies of coronavirus
- Eight samples collected in Ctg, results afternoon
- Free Coronavirus test in DMCH, result in 3 hrs
- All Pohela Boishakh events cancelled
- Measures taken to meet milk, egg, fish and meat demand
- Coronavirus test in Rajshahi begins
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 6 in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus claims lives of two US activists
- Lata Mangeshkar donates Rs 25 lakh to fight against coronavirus
- Pak legend sportsman dies of corona
- Temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Worker killed in Satkhira road crash
- Holy Ka`aba Sharif Tawaf resumed
- Coronavirus is worst crisis since World War II: UN Chief
- 100 shops gutted in Khulna fire
- 3 new coronavirus patients identified, 54 in total
- Coronavirus alone took only 2.3 percent lives in Italy!
- Corona test at BSMMU begins today; result in 4 hrs!
- One more dies from coronavirus in country
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- Corona death surging to 19000
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy reports 683 more coronavirus deaths
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 11 killed as gunmen attack Sikh religious complex in Kabul
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- UN urges to ease sanctions against countries fighting COVID-19
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium