Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
Published: 11:35 AM, 26 February 2020 Updated: 04:23 PM, 26 February 2020
Ongoing protests in Delhi; Photo: Collected
The death toll has climbed to 21 from the clash between the protesters and supporters of the Citizenship Amendment Act in Delhi, the capital of India. In addition, more than 200 people, including a child, were injured.
According to news reports released by the country’s media on Tuesday, the clash that started since Monday is gradually widespread. About 70 of the injured have been identified as having been shot in the body.
Ajit Doval, the country’s national security adviser, visited the violence areas in Delhi that night and met the top police officials.
Union Cabinet members also held a meeting to review the violent situation in the capital.
Home Minister Amit Shah held three meetings in the last 24 hours over the widespread violence. IPS officer SN Srivastava was present at the meeting and also appointed as the special police commissioner on Tuesday.
Section 144 has been issued in 10 important places of Delhi, where the protest-clash turned into battlefields. The administration has also ordered the closure of all schools in east and northeast Delhi.
Violence broke out in northeast Delhi just hours before US President Donald Trump landed in Delhi on Monday.
Earlier, the Home Ministry said in a statement that the situation in Delhi was “under control”. Paramilitary troops and police have been deployed there to keep the situation normal.
- DC distributes relief at night to maintain social distance
- Family of 4 all die of coronavirus in a week
- 327 Japanese left Bangladesh
- Youth slaughtered on his way home in Jashore
- Charles says pandemic is strange, frustrating and distressing
- Two drug dealers killed in Naogaon gunfight
- Former land minister Shamsur Rahman dies
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Kaptai
- Coronavirus test facilities in 5 hospitals
- Coronavirus claims 923 lives in Spain in a day
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Israeli health minister, wife contract COVID-19
- US coronavirus cases surpass 200,000, records deaths in a day
- Coronavirus: Death toll exceeds 47,000; infection over .9 million
- Army to go tough from today
- RPMP Police launches home delivery service
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 45,500
- Fake police caught demanding extortion
- Ctg woman who died in isolation ward tested negative for Covid-19
- 18 houses burnt in 20 minutes at Rohingya camp
- All courts to remain closed in 2nd phase holidays
- 4 woman killed in NY building fire
- Champions League suspended indefinitely
- Coronavirus infected woman journo shares 13 new symptoms
- Teenager dies in Bogura isolation
- Govt urges not to heed to rumors ‘If fever, police will take up’
- Helicopter`s door fallen down to house
- Masks, hand gloves increase coronavirus risks
- Housewife commits suicide in Bagerhat
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- England plans to return field by early May
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed