Death toll climbs 22 in Turkish earthquake
Published: 10:15 PM, 25 January 2020
The death toll from a strong earthquake that rocked eastern Turkey climbed to 22 Saturday, and many others are missing officials said.
The quake of 6.7 magnitudes hit on Friday at 8:55 p.m. local time (1755 GMT) at a depth of 6.7 kilometers (around 4 miles) near Sivrice, the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency, or AFAD, said.
AFAD said it was followed by 228 aftershocks, the strongest with magnitudes 5.4 and 5.1.
At least 10 buildings in Sivrice and 25 in Malatya province were destroyed, said Environment and Urbanization Minister Murat Kurum. Hundreds of other structures were damaged and made unsafe.
Soylu said 18 people were killed in Elazig and four in Malatya. Speaking at the same news conference, Koca said 34 people remain in intensive care.
Television footage showed emergency workers removing two people from the wreckage of a collapsed building in the town of Gezin. Another person was saved in the city of Elazig, the provincial capital, and two more from a house in Doganyol, Malatya.
A prison in Adiyaman, 110 kilometers (70 miles) southwest of the epicenter, was evacuated after being damaged in the quake.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Twitter overnight that all measures were being taken to "ensure that the earthquake that occurred in Elazig and was felt in many provinces is overcome with the least amount of loss."
Neighboring Greece, which is at odds with Turkey over maritime boundaries and gas exploitation rights, offered to send rescue crews should they be needed.
Elazig is some 565 kilometers (350 miles) east of the Turkish capital, Ankara.
Turkey sits on top of two major fault lines and earthquakes are frequent. Two strong earthquakes struck northwest Turkey in 1999, killing around 18,000 people.
A magnitude 6 earthquake killed 51 people in Elazig in 2010.
- Child killed in Netrokona road crash
- Youth dies crushed under train in capital
- 4 businesses fined in Akhaura
- Know the exact time of meditation
- Beware of 10 mistakes while using mobile phone
- 54 held in anti-narcotic drives
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- BNP calls parliamentary board meeting
- Zambian Army commander meets Bangladesh Army Chief
- ‘I saw my baby boy burnt during gang rape’
- 2 held over rape of schoolgirl in Bhola
- Korea to give coronavirus detecting machine to Bangladesh
- ICC unveil Women`s T20 World Cup trophy
- Journey of ‘Adventure of Sundarban’ from March
- Youth killed over bike collision with tree
- Coronavirus: Father hides son
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Faf du Plessis steps down as South Africa captain
- Smoking in the office, use contractors’ cars!
- Youth lynched in Bagerhat
- Biker killed on way to relative’s funeral
- Barapukuria Coal Mine graft case: Hearing on Mar 29
- 3 members of Rohingya trafficking gang held
- ‘Digital’ irregularities in digital machine
- Whomever you voted, I am Chief Minister of all: Kejriwal
- Absconding murder accused arrested after 29 yrs
- US not to take back its 40 corona affected nationals
- Housewife commits suicide over family dispute
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- All News »
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Soumya to get married this month
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Soumya with future wife
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Uniform entry test in public universities from this year
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Sundarbans Day today