Deadly storm hits Philippines, kills 200
Published: 12:32 PM, 24 December 2017 Updated: 11:33 AM, 26 December 2017
More than 200 people were killed in southern Philippines due to landslides and a tropical storm ‘Tembin’. Many people were reportedly missing after the storm.
Tembin mainly hit the country’s second largest island, Mindanao. The towns of Tubod and Piagapo were also badly hit, while the remote village Dalama was wiped out by flash floods.
The Tembin Storm made a second landfall in the Palawan archipelago and travel to Spratly Island in about three days.
More deaths were reported in Bukidnon, Iligan and Misamis Occidental.
Regional officials said in the Rappler website that there were 127 fatalities in Lanao del Norte, up to 50 in the Zamboanga peninsula and at least 18 in Lanao del Sur.
They also added that volunteers were digging through mud try to recover bodies in the village. Rescue teams have yet to reach some of the affected areas on Mindanao island.
Richard Gordon, chairman of the Philippines Red Cross said that we are on our toes right now. He also said we are trying to figure out how to give help to so many people that are really in danger.
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres said he was saddened by the loss of life, adding that the UN was ready to help.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte is due to visit communities affected by Storm Tembin on Sunday.
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Myanmar Navy handed over 17 Bangladeshi fishermen
- Saudi Aramco raises $25.6 billion in biggest-ever IPO
- Cosmos Dialogue on Bangladesh-Canada trade tomorrow
- Gas supply to stay shut in Farmgate, Shukrabad tomorrow
- Radish’s ‘Jafrani kabab’
- Minister laid Press Club building foundation stone in Kaliakair
- ‘No one will be exempted involving corruption’
- Bogura Zilla Awami League council tomorrow
- BNP’s behaviour in court unpardonable: Quader
- RAB detained 3 members of snatcher cycle
- Bangladeshi archers shine on opening day
- Modi, Pranab, Sonia to join Bangabandhu`s birth centenary
- Agriculture Minister inaugurates ‘Krisoker Bazar’
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Pancake without eggs!
- Language movement-liberation war’s colorful paintings on wall
- Child body recover from pond
- Giant ‘Tiger Shark’ caught in Chattogram
- ACC detained 2 civil aviation officials
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- 23 kidnapped from Mexican rehab clinic
- Bangladesh to honour 380 Indian soldiers: FM
- New South Wales bushfires condition worsen
- Hemayet 5th World Carrom rankings
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Flower blooms with Azan