DSCC, DNCC polls in Jan
Published: 12:15 PM, 11 December 2019 Updated: 01:53 PM, 11 December 2019
The Election Commission (EC) is planning to hold the polls of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) and Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) on the same day at the end of January. The schedule is expected to be announced this month.
“Election Commission will announce the schedule of the two city polls in the third week of December and the polls will be conducted in the last week of January 2020,” said EC senior secretary Md Alamgir.
It is reported that electronic voting machines (EVMs) will be used instead of the traditional ballot paper for voting in these two cities, reports UNB.
Stating that the commission will fix the schedule and the date of the polls soon, Md Alamgir said, “The EC Secretariat will use the existing voter list in this election. The country’s updated voter list will be published after the two city polls.”
The EC Secretariat has taken steps to list the election officers - presiding officers, assistant presiding officers and polling officers - to conduct the two important city polls.
Officials said a letter has already been sent to the Dhaka District Election Officer and Thana Election Officer to form a preliminary panel of election officials. In order to hold polls for the two cities, the 180 days countdown has already started in EC.
Earlier, two city corporation polls were reported in mid-November. The EC was supposed to announce the schedule for DNCC and DSCC polls anytime after November 18 and 18 respectively.
According to the Local Government (City Corporation) Act 2009, the election of any city corporation in the country must be held within 180 days of a five year period, which will be counted since the first meeting of the corporation.
The last polls of the Chittagong City Corporation (CCC) was held along with DSCC and DNCC on the same day on April 28, 2015.
However, the first meeting was held on May 14 in the DNCC, May 17 in the DSCC and August 6 in the CCC. As such, the five-year term of the DSCC will end on May 13 next year, May 16 of the DNCC and August 5 of the CCC. However, the EC has yet to make a decision on the CCC polls.
- Coronavirus affected Indian nurse identified in Saudi
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- AL to pay homage to Bangabandhu at Tungipara
- Chinese New Year gala celebrated
- 19 killed in south Sudan tribal clashes
- No national channel to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- FM hoping for millstone in remittance growth
- Bangladeshi Omar Ishrak named Intel Chairman
- New hope for distress Rohingyas
- Sheikh Russell Children Park to be opened on March 17
- Worker died falling from building
- ‘Action to be taken against corrupted officials’
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- ‘Mushroom Soup’ for diabetes patients
- Burundi reach final beating Bangladesh 3-0
- Gambia satisfies over ICJ’s effort
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- E-passport to be launched today
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse