Cyclone ‘Fani’ in India: Death toll rises to 10
Published: 10:22 AM, 4 May 2019 Updated: 12:45 PM, 4 May 2019
Death toll rises to ten in Odisha as severe cyclonic storm ‘Fani’ unleashing a trail of destruction on its way, made landfall in West Bengal post-midnight on Saturday.--reports Indian news Zee News.
Among the dead, two in Kendrapara (Rajnagar), two in Puri (Sakhigopal), two in Nayagarh (Dashapalla), two in Mayurbhanj, two in Jajpur.
The weakened cyclonic storm, which has now been now downgraded to ‘severe cyclonic storm’, has crossed India’s Kharagpur and is currently located over Satkhira, Jashore and Khulna region and adjoining area at 6:00 am on Saturday with a wind speed within 54 kms of the storm center is about 62 kph rising to 88 kph in gusts or squalls.
Earlier on Friday morning, the cyclonic storm ‘Fani’ struck Puri area of Odisha in India. During the strike, the speed of the cyclone was 210 kph.
A large number of landslides and tidal waves were created in the state of Odisha due to the ‘Fani’. About 150 people were injured. Later, the cyclone struck West Bengal. Severed storms-rains occurred in Kolkata and adjacent areas.
In the meantime, the cyclone ‘Fani’ is started hitting Jashore, Satkhira, Khulna, Meherpur, Rajshahi, Chuadanga, Jhenaidah and Shailkupa including the coastal areas of Bangladesh. Due to this, heavy rains including wind storms are happening in those areas. As the speed of Fani decreases, the wind speed is now 140-160 kilometers.
However, it is expected that the speed of ‘Fani’ will be reduced more while striking in Bangladesh. In that case, it will become weak and turns into ‘general storm’ and will hit the coastal areas of Bangladesh.
Warning already issued on the coast including danger signals. Mongla and Payra have been advised to keep hoisted the signal no 7, signal no 6 in Chattogram, and signal 4 in Cox’s Bazar.
Meanwhile, preparations have been taken to tackle the possible damage. People of the distressed areas are being moved to the shelter center.
The 24-hour control rooms have opened in 19 coastal districts, about 56,000 volunteers have been prepared at the danger zone of the cyclone.
The weather office has been advised to stay safe place till further notice.
- No harmful contents in pasteurized milk brands, BSTI to HC
- JP-led govt will be formed in future: GM Quader
- Army Chief to visit United Nations Peacekeeping Mission
- Dementia risk tied to common drugs
- Momen sought Beijing’s support to convince Myanmar
- Action against govt officials if drug addict: HM
- FR Tower: ACC’s case accusing Ex-RAJUK chair among 25
- PM’s good news for Tigers
- Brian Lara hospitalized after chest pain
- Who responsible for collapsed bridges?
- Exemption with financial benefit by SI
- All pasteurised milk including Pran-Milk Vita-Arong adulterated
- Holey Artisan attack case: Five more policemen testify
- England wins toss, bowl first
- ECNEC clears 10 projects
- PM orders to quick repair of shaky bridges
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Owners of 31 brick kilns sued
- Writ files to correct mistakes on English 2nd paper
- Suman in HC seeking ban on unnecessary C-section
- Six Killed as bus falls into ditch in India
- Heat wave may abate some places
- JSS activist shot dead in Bandarban
- Elderly man dies as 90kg man falls on him
- US hits Iran’s supreme leader Khamenei with sanctions
- Australia-England high voltage match today
- 3 human traffickers killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Probe report submission deferred again
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties