Cyber-attack disrupts distribution of multiple US newspapers
Published: 11:45 AM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 11:45 AM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Several US newspapers suffered major printing and delivery disruptions on Saturday following a cyber-attack, US media report.
The attack led to delayed distribution of The Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun and other titles belonging to Tribune Publishing.
The company said it first detected the malware on Friday, which hit papers sharing the same printing plant.
The attack is believed to have come from outside the US, the LA Times said.
West Coast editions of the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, which share the same production platform in Los Angeles, were also affected.
"We believe the intention of the attack was to disable infrastructure, more specifically servers, as opposed to looking to steal information," an anonymous source with knowledge of the attack told the LA Times.
Tribune Publishing spokeswoman Marisa Kollias confirmed this in a statement, saying the virus hurt back-office systems used to publish and produce "newspapers across our properties".
"Every market across the company was impacted," Ms Kollias said, refusing to give more specifications on the disruptions, according to the LA Times.
Other publications owned by the company include the New York Daily News, Orlando Sentinel and the Annapolis Capital-Gazette, whose staff were the targets of a deadly shooting earlier this year.
Another publication, the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel was also "crippled this weekend by a computer virus that shut down production and hampered phone lines," according to a story on its website.
"We are aware of reports of a potential cyber incident affecting several news outlets and are working with our government and industry partners to better understand the situation," a Department of Homeland Security official said in a statement.
Investigators at the Federal Bureau of Investigations were not immediately available for comment.
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage