Ctg port drops 9 steps in global ranking...

Dhaka, Friday   22 October 2021

Ctg port drops 9 steps in global ranking

 M Rakibur Rahman, Chattogram daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 05:47 PM, 24 August 2021  

Collected

Collected

The global economic activity came to a standstill last year due to the COVID pandemic – that stagnation was also felt in Chattogram port, as a result, the country’s main seaport has dropped 9 steps to 67th position in the list of top 100 ports in the world in terms of container transport. The seaport was in 58th position in 2019.

According to port sources, 98 percent of Bangladesh’s container transport by sea is done through Chattogram port. Besides, 27 percent of the goods are transported through this port. The remaining 73 percent is used for transporting ordinary vessels without containers.

The Lloyd’s List, the oldest London-based shipping news agency, released a list of the top 100 ports for container shipments in 2020. China’s Port of Shanghai has topped the list while Port of Singapore has ranked 2nd and China’s Port of Jinzhou has ranked the last position, i.e., 100th. 

The Port of Shanghai, which is in the 1st placed, handled 4,35,03,400 TEU containers in 2020. This number was 4,33,03,000 TEU containers in 2019 – which was increased to 0.5 percent.

The Chattogram Port of Bangladesh, on the other hand, which is in the 67th position, handled 28,39,977 TEU containers in 2020, it was 30,88,187 TEU containers in 2019 – which was decreased by 8 percent.

The 100th-ranked China’s Port of Jinzhou handled 16.43 lakh TEU containers in 2020, this number was 18.79 lakh TEU containers in 2019 – which was decreased by 12.6 percent.

Lloyd’s makes this list every year. From 2010-2020, Chattogram Port ranked 88th, 89th, 90th, 86th, 87th, 76th, 71st, 70th, 64th, 58th and 67th respectively. 

According to Lloyd’s report, the country’s main seaport has lagged in container transport this year due to the coronavirus outbreak, which has hit significant trade in Bangladesh’s ready-made garments.

The report also said 63.20 crores single containers were transported through these 100 best ports in that year - which was 0.7 percent less than the previous year. 

Khairul Alam Sujan, director of the Bangladesh Shipping Agents Association, said Chattogram Port is nine steps behind in Lloyd’s List. However, this is not a lack of port capacity or negligence. At the beginning of 2020, the whole world came to a standstill. “When the major ports of the world lost their way, Chattogram port was still operational 24 hours a day. Hopefully, the port will move up in the list of the best,” he added.

DailyBangladesh/AS