Ctg-Cox’s Bazar rail link to open in 2023
Published: 05:40 PM, 23 May 2019
A new rail link connecting the port city of Chattogram and the country’s tourism hub Cox’s Bazar is expected to open in 2023 aiming to help promote trade, investment and tourism in Bangladesh in a greater way by transporting 2.9 million passengers annually by 2024, officials say.
Bangladesh signed a deal with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Thursday for a $400 million loan to help build the dual-gauge railway connecting Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar.
Secretary, Economic Relations Division (ERD) Monowar Ahmed and Country Director, ADB Manmohan Parkash signed the agreement on behalf of Bangladesh and ADB respectively, at a ceremony in the capital.
The railway corridor is part of the Trans-Asian Railway network that will facilitate access for the Cox’s Bazar region’s population and products to sub-regional markets and trade.
The Trans-Asia Railway network, an initiative led by the United Nations, aims to provide seamless rail links between Asia and Europe to better connect people and markets.
The assistance forms the second part of $1.5 billion ADB loans for the South Asia Sub-regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Chattogram-Cox’s Bazar Railway Project.
The loan will finance around 27 percent of the progress towards constructing 102 kilometers of new railway line between Chattogram and Cox's Bazar, according to the ADB.
“ADB is committed to helping Bangladesh develop its railways, which is a safe, affordable and environment-friendly mode of transport,” said Parkash.
He said the project is a priority investment under Bangladesh’s Seventh Five Year Plan and will open up the unserved areas of Cox’s Bazar region by promoting investment, trade and tourism.
Parkash said the project also integrates features that are friendly to the elderly, women, children, and people with disabilities.
He said the project will connect Cox’s Bazar for the first time to the national and sub-regional railway network.
The construction of this railway section is one of several ADB railway projects to help Bangladesh meet its targets under its Seventh Five-Year Plan and Railway Master Plan.
- Bangladeshis should be proud of their soldiers: Antonio Guterres
- Former SCC mayor Kamran tests positive for COVID-19
- Natore reports three new COVID-19 patients
- Dr. Nahid brought to Suhrawardy Hospital
- 29 more test positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- Fiji declares itself Coronavirus-free
- Foreign currency reserve, annual remittances hit record highs
- Qatar completes third World Cup stadium
- Coronavirus is ‘weakening’, now claims US doctors
- Govt to recruit 3,000 medical technologists-technicians
- COVID-19 cases reached 1281 in Cumilla
- Youths in country mostly infected with coronavirus
- Electrician dies falling from under-construction building
- 123 officials get promoted as joint secretaries
- Don Dawood Ibrahim and his wife infected with COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Cox’s Bazar declared as country’s first ‘red zone’
- Bank official among 3 of a family hacked in Pabna, bodies found 3 days later
- ‘Environment care would have made easier to combat virus’
- Shechwashebak League leader killed in Bogura
- Gazipur coronavirus cases surpass 1,500
- New routine for secondary classes on TV released
- Four families placed under lockdown in Brahmanbaria
- 3 killed, 7 injured in knife attack at China supermarket
- Tea seller anxious despite his son gets GPA-5
- Consumers suffering in ‘spooky electricity bills’
- India breaks all records of COVID-19 cases in a day
- Sherpur reports six new coronavirus infected cases
- Schoolboy`s body found in pond
- Charging extra fare is breach of promise: Quader
- 5 day labourers missing as boat capsize in Padma
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- COVID-19: Over 9,000 people recovered in country
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day