Cricketer Khawaja’s brother held over terror charges
Published: 11:37 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 01:49 PM, 4 December 2018
The brother of Australia test cricketer Usman Khawaja has been taken into custody by counter-terrorism police investigating the discovery in August of a laptop computer containing a purported terrorist hit-list.
Arsalan Khawaja, 39, was arrested Tuesday morning after being pulled over while driving in western Sydney, according to a spokesperson for New South Wales state police.
Australian media, quoting police sources, said Arsalan Khawaja was being questioned about forgery and an attempt to pervert justice.
The arrest comes as Usman Khawaja prepares with the Australia squad in Adelaide ahead of Thursday's first test against India, the start of a crucial four-match series in which the home side could challenge India's position as the world's top-ranked test team.
Tuesday's police operation stemmed from the discovery in an office at the University of New South Wales of a laptop which contained an alleged hit-list naming former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and his deputy Julie Bishop.
The device also reportedly contained blueprints for attacks on train stations and landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported police were not alleging Arsalan Khawaja intended to carry out terrorist attacks but that he tampered with the laptop to frame a colleague, 25-year-old Ph.D. student Mohamed Nizamdeen.
Nizamdeen spent four weeks in solitary confinement at Sydney's Goulburn Supermax prison before all terrorism charges against him were dropped in October.
The ABC said Arsalan Khawaja aimed to frame Nizamdeen in a dispute over a woman. Nizamdeen, speaking from his native Sri Lanka, later described the police operation which led to his arrest as "immature, embarrassing and biased."
"I am completely exonerated and I hope the media and the Sri Lankan public can help me pick up the pieces of my shattered life," he said.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Nizamdeen was now planning to sue the police.
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- Trump demands Europe take in 800 ISIS fighters
- Pulse cultivation gaining popularity among Manikganj farmers
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’