Cricketer Khawaja’s brother held over terror charges
Published: 11:37 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 01:49 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The brother of Australia test cricketer Usman Khawaja has been taken into custody by counter-terrorism police investigating the discovery in August of a laptop computer containing a purported terrorist hit-list.
Arsalan Khawaja, 39, was arrested Tuesday morning after being pulled over while driving in western Sydney, according to a spokesperson for New South Wales state police.
Australian media, quoting police sources, said Arsalan Khawaja was being questioned about forgery and an attempt to pervert justice.
The arrest comes as Usman Khawaja prepares with the Australia squad in Adelaide ahead of Thursday's first test against India, the start of a crucial four-match series in which the home side could challenge India's position as the world's top-ranked test team.
Tuesday's police operation stemmed from the discovery in an office at the University of New South Wales of a laptop which contained an alleged hit-list naming former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and his deputy Julie Bishop.
The device also reportedly contained blueprints for attacks on train stations and landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported police were not alleging Arsalan Khawaja intended to carry out terrorist attacks but that he tampered with the laptop to frame a colleague, 25-year-old Ph.D. student Mohamed Nizamdeen.
Nizamdeen spent four weeks in solitary confinement at Sydney's Goulburn Supermax prison before all terrorism charges against him were dropped in October.
The ABC said Arsalan Khawaja aimed to frame Nizamdeen in a dispute over a woman. Nizamdeen, speaking from his native Sri Lanka, later described the police operation which led to his arrest as "immature, embarrassing and biased."
"I am completely exonerated and I hope the media and the Sri Lankan public can help me pick up the pieces of my shattered life," he said.
The Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Nizamdeen was now planning to sue the police.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor