Country’s remittance inflow slides in 2017
Published: 12:12 PM, 2 January 2018 Updated: 09:20 PM, 3 January 2018
The remittance inflow of the 2017 calendar year has crossed $13.538 billion. This remittance inflow has increased over the past few months. Expatriate Bangladeshis sent $6.935 billion in July to December and $6.602 billion in the first six months of last year.
According to the latest Bangladesh Bank (BB) official statistics, the country received $13.538 billion in 2017 calendar year while it received $13.701 billion in the previous year.
Bangladesh Bank statistics also show, expatriate Bangladeshis sent $1.009 billion in January, $940.7 million in February, $1.077 billion in March, $1.092 billion in April, $1.267 billion in May, $1.214 billion in June, $1.115 billion in July, $1.418 billion in August, $856.87 million in September, and $1.162 billion in October,$1.214 billion in November,$1.167 billion in December in 2017.
Officials of Bangladesh Bank said that the remittance inflow did not show any improvement despite a number of measures taken by the central bank.
Deputy Governor of the central bank Abu Hena Mohammad Raji Hasan said, due to the various steps were taken by the central bank, non-resident Bangladeshis (NRBs) send money in the country through legitimate means, the upward trend in remittance flows was seen in the last year.
He said that they attributed the declining financial situation in the Middle-East nations to the fall in remittance inflow saying that the war and other factors have squeezed the job markets for the foreign workers. In addition, some NRBs send money to the country on illegal routes.
Of the December remittance of $1.167 billion, the six state-owned banks - Agrani, Janata, Rupali, Sonali, BASIC, and BDBL -received $286.77 million while the specialised two state-owned banks - Bangladesh Krishi Bank and Rajshahi Krishi Unnayan Bank - received $11.11.
The remaining $869.31 million was received by the 49 private banks with the Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited in leading position by receiving $258.05 million, Bangladesh Bank data show.
- Mahbub Uz Zaman appointed Bangladesh Ambassador to China
- Bangladesh HP beats Sri Lanka
- Convict arrested in Companyganj
- Man killed mother-in-law
- Soil-friendly tools must deliver to farmer: AG Minister
- Saiful walked 31 days against rumors
- `Pacers need to focus more on fitness`
- 21st Aug: Drive from Bangabandhu Avenue to Sudha Sadan
- 157 schools damaged in Tangail flood
- AL pays homage to Aug 21 grenade attack victims
- Record 11.23-lakh tons maize produced in Rangpur
- Eunuchs sought punishment for in-community others
- Bangladesh mission in Delhi pay tributes to Aug 21 attack victims
- NZ women cricket’s same-sex couple expecting first child
- Mistrust, new conditions threaten to derail Rohingya repatriation
- Child rape accused held in Jhenaidah
- “Appeal hearing to start this year”
- 2 get life term for killing two Bangladeshis
- Now OC Moazzem seeks bail in HC
- Light to moderate rain likely
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Refuse immoral proposal, principal locks teacher in bathroom
- Over 2,300 tigers killed and trafficked this century
- Nightguard’s slit-throat body found in Fatullah
- AL’s programs on anniv of grenade attack
- 6 Indian soldiers killed as Pakistan Army responds to LoC firing
- Newly-wed couple found hanging with same rope
- Nayak Raj’s two years of departure
- 1st dual security key launches with Lightning and USB-C
- Hackers deliver malware via fake NordVPN website
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- App launches to prevent dengue
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again