Country’s remittance inflow slides in 2017
Published: 12:12 PM, 2 January 2018 Updated: 09:20 PM, 3 January 2018
The remittance inflow of the 2017 calendar year has crossed $13.538 billion. This remittance inflow has increased over the past few months. Expatriate Bangladeshis sent $6.935 billion in July to December and $6.602 billion in the first six months of last year.
According to the latest Bangladesh Bank (BB) official statistics, the country received $13.538 billion in 2017 calendar year while it received $13.701 billion in the previous year.
Bangladesh Bank statistics also show, expatriate Bangladeshis sent $1.009 billion in January, $940.7 million in February, $1.077 billion in March, $1.092 billion in April, $1.267 billion in May, $1.214 billion in June, $1.115 billion in July, $1.418 billion in August, $856.87 million in September, and $1.162 billion in October,$1.214 billion in November,$1.167 billion in December in 2017.
Officials of Bangladesh Bank said that the remittance inflow did not show any improvement despite a number of measures taken by the central bank.
Deputy Governor of the central bank Abu Hena Mohammad Raji Hasan said, due to the various steps were taken by the central bank, non-resident Bangladeshis (NRBs) send money in the country through legitimate means, the upward trend in remittance flows was seen in the last year.
He said that they attributed the declining financial situation in the Middle-East nations to the fall in remittance inflow saying that the war and other factors have squeezed the job markets for the foreign workers. In addition, some NRBs send money to the country on illegal routes.
Of the December remittance of $1.167 billion, the six state-owned banks - Agrani, Janata, Rupali, Sonali, BASIC, and BDBL -received $286.77 million while the specialised two state-owned banks - Bangladesh Krishi Bank and Rajshahi Krishi Unnayan Bank - received $11.11.
The remaining $869.31 million was received by the 49 private banks with the Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited in leading position by receiving $258.05 million, Bangladesh Bank data show.
- Made in Bangladesh’ expo in Qatar from Jan 28
- Telenor drops Huawei for Ericsson in 5G contract
- Boucher named South Africa head coach
- Queen Elizabeth looking for social media expert
- Homemade natural ‘Body Lotion’
- Sylhet Thunder’s losing streak continues in BBPL
- Six essential tips for bride
- ERC condemns Suu Kyi
- Salah double seals Liverpool win over Watford
- Zia was Moshtaque’s most trusted man: PM
- Traffic direction for Dhaka bound vehicles on Dec 16
- Razakars list to be released Sunday
- RAB-10 detained 2 with Yaba
- Security beefed up for Victory Day celebration
- Victory day traffic guidelines in capital
- Fire erupting from manhole in Dhaka
- No player will be forced to tour Pakistan: Papon
- ‘Stern curbing if chaos created for Khaleda’s bail’
- Bangladesh satisfies over Gambia’s efforts
- Three dead in Nepal bomb blast
- Navy ships to remain open for all on Victory Day
- PIB organizes dialogues on women and children
- Sabina Yasmin’s new song on Victory Day
- 2 arrested with 6 stolen CNG auto-rickshaws
- Martyr intellectuals showed us the way: Humayun
- JaPa paid homage to martyred intellectuals
- Riyad hails Shakib as a ‘player of one generation’
- China’s 5G handsets shipments top 5 mln in November
- AL pays homage to martyred intellectuals
- Saudi strives to develop secrete relations with Iran; reports WSJ
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash