Coronavirus gets new name
Published: 12:26 PM, 9 February 2020 Updated: 12:27 PM, 9 February 2020
The global panic coronavirus has so far killed 813 people and caused more than 35,000 infections, but the virus was not named yet.
Due to the anonymity, Chinese residents have started calling it Wuhan's virus as the place of its origin. The matter is very embarrassing for the city dweller.
In that context, China has announced a new name for Coronavirus. From now on, the virus will be called NCP, short for 'Novel Corona Virus Pneumonia'.
China's National Health Commission announced the new name at a press conference on Saturday. They also mention the reason for giving a new name.
However, they said the name was given for a temporary period. Because the name is not scientifically recognized. However, the Health Commission of China has not given any information on when the virus will be named.
It is important to note that the epidemic virus is not yet given the exact name. Although from the beginning it is referred to as coronavirus.
The virus is new and many are calling it 'Novel Corona'. In a magazine, it was named ‘2019-ncov’.
Many people are calling it the Chinese virus because it has no formal name.
But none of them is the name of the virus. Originally it is called as a member of the coronavirus family.
Virologists say coronavirus is the name of any virus that causes colds.
That's why a group of scientists is discussing the naming of the deadly virus.
They are trying to name the virus by studying the origin, characteristics and behavior.
Crystal Watson, assistant professor at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, told the BBC: “The virus's name is soon to be announced. Regarding the impact on health, the virus will be named correctly.”
Asked why the name of the virus was coronavirus, Professor Crystal Watson said, "The microscope can be seen as a crown or spike on the microscope. It seems as if there are many sticks placed on the crown. So they have been named coronavirus. '
It should be noted that from the ancient Greek word Coron, the word Corona originated in Latin in the seventeenth century. It means the flower crown. About the World Health Organization's (WHO) recommended name, 2019-ncov, he said the name is not final. And this name is not acceptable to medical scientists.
Asked why the name came up, he said the virus originated in 2019. It's new to the Coronavirus family, so it's called Novel. In all, including the originating year, N from the word novel, 'and cov from Coronavirus', has been named together – 2019-ncov.
Professor Benjamin Newman, a virologist who has been named in the matter, told the BBC: "After two weeks of discussions, they have reached a consensus on a name." The name has been submitted to a science-based journal for publication. The name of the virus will be announced within the next few days after further review. "
- Boris Johnson shifted to ICU
- France records nearly 9000 deaths in coronavirus infection
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 10, 000 in US
- Coronavirus death toll surging to 74000
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 72 thousand
- BGMEA, BKMEA urge factory owners to pay wages by Apr 16
- MP distributes food items among 5,000 families
- Coronavirus patient detected in Narsingdi
- Rangamati Zilla Parishad to distribute relief to 1,500 families
- Haldarpara goes into lockdown voluntarily
- Irfan-Yusuf distribute 10t rice, 700 kg potato
- Fine for reasonless roaming
- ‘Govt order on mosque correct and veritable’
- Siam-Pori return home finally
- 80 Bangladeshi expats die of coronavirus
- 18 more samples tested in Chattogram
- Illegal sand lifting amid coronavirus
- Free vegetable markets in Ctg alleys
- 2 former cricketers died
- COVID-19 patients in India rises to 4,553 with 118 death tolls
- Javed is out of danger
- Cabinet orders law enforcers to strictly enforce social distancing
- 9 Tablig members quarantined at mosque
- 905 families get food aid in Godagari
- Elderly man dies at isolation in Chattogram
- Online class facilities for HSC students
- 2 youth in isolation in Habiganj
- Only IEDCR’s information correct: DGHS
- All shops except pharmacies to close by 7pm
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Army to go tough from today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- John Prine critically ill with coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US singer Joe Diffie dies of coronavirus
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Nobel Prize winner Malala in quarantine
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- US experienced highest death record in a day