Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
Published: 10:32 PM, 16 February 2020
The coronavirus epidemic could damage global economic growth this year, the IMF head said Sunday, but a sharp and rapid economic rebound could follow.
“There may be a cut that we are still hoping would be in the 0.1-0.2 percentage space,” the managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Kristalina Georgieva, told the Global Women’s Forum in Dubai.
She said the full impact of the spreading disease that has already killed more than 1,600 people would depend on how quickly it was contained.
“I advise everybody not to jump to premature conclusions. There is still a great deal of uncertainty. We operate with scenarios, not yet with projections, ask me in 10 days,” Georgieva said.
In its January update to the World Economic Outlook, the IMF lowered global economic growth forecast in 2020 by a 0.1 percentage point to 3.3 percent, following a 2.9 percent growth the previous year, the lowest in a decade.
Georgieva said it was “too early” to assess the full impact of the epidemic but acknowledged that it had already affected sectors such as tourism and transportation.
“It is too early to say because we don’t yet quite know what is the nature of this virus. We don’t know how quickly China will be able to contain it. We don’t know whether it will spread to the rest of the world,” she said.
If the disease is “contained rapidly, there can be a sharp drop and a very rapid rebound”, in what is known as the V-shaped impact, she said.
Compared to the impact of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2002, she said China’s economy then made up just 8.0 percent of global economy. Now, that figure is 19 percent.
She said the trade agreement between the United States and China, the world’s first and second economies, had reduced the disease’s impact on global economy.
But the world should be concerned “about sluggish growth” impacted by uncertainty, said the IMF chief.
“We are now stuck with low productivity growth, low economic growth, low interest rates and low inflation,” she told the Dubai forum, also attended by US President Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka and former British prime minister Theresa May.
- Bengali Drama on Coronavirus issue
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- Sani asks Shakib about his silence
- Coronavirus: First-class cricketers donate 15-day salary
- DU to remain closed till Apr 11, Noboborsho programs postponed
- Primary class on Sangsad TV begins April 5
- Australia scientists begin test of potential COVID-19 vaccines
- Share market closed till April 11
- Request for 1yr VAT suspension in garment industry
- Britain, France and Germany send medical aid to Iran
- 8 Habiganj people test negative for coronavirus
- Holiday bank hour extended
- Youth shot dead by BSF along Thakurgaon border
- 2 corona deaths reported in Qatar are Bangladeshi
- Does mosquito spread COVID-19?
- 18 Bangladeshi die of coronavirus in NY 24 hrs
- Night temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Law minister condoles death of Shamsur Rahman
- Singer Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus transforms before revealing symptoms: Study
- 2 arrested in Gazipur for spreading coronavirus rumors
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- England plans to return field by early May
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19