Coronavirus could be under control by late April
Published: 02:33 PM, 3 April 2020 Updated: 02:33 PM, 3 April 2020
China’s leading respiratory disease expert Zhong Nanshan, who also heads a Chinese team of top experts that advises the government on managing coronavirus outbreak
The coronavirus pandemic could be under control by the end of the month of April.
China’s leading respiratory disease expert Zhong Nanshan, who also heads a Chinese team of top experts that advises the government on managing the outbreak, made this remark in an interview with Shenzhen Television broadcast late on Wednesday.
“With every country taking aggressive and effective measures, I believe the pandemic can be brought under control. My estimate is around late April,” Nanshan said.
However, he warned that uncertainty remains as to whether there will be another coronavirus outbreak next spring.
“After late April, no one can say for sure if there will be another virus outbreak next spring or if it will disappear with warmer weather … though the virus’ activity will certainly diminish in higher temperatures,” he said.
Zhong did not say how he reached his forecast but other experts have suggested a similar time frame based on the latest developments in the United States and Europe, which are the current epicentres of the health crisis.
Mike Ryan, director of the World Health Organisation’s health emergencies programme, said this week that there were signs of the outbreak stabilising in Europe as the lockdowns imposed last month started to bear fruit.
In the US, the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington said that hospitals were likely to face the peak of Covid-19 patients around April 20.
Zhong said that governments around the world have to work together to fight the pandemic. “Countries, including the US, have adopted aggressive and effective measures … [and] the most primitive and effective measure is making people stay at home,” he said.
- Trump sued for use of teargas outside White House
- Brazil surpasses Italy in COVID-19 deaths
- Harry Potter star Emma responds to criticism
- National cricketers comes with aid for Amphan hit victims
- 12 wounded by Hanuman`s bite in Jashore
- Coronavirus takes over 5000 lives in a day
- Woman’s body found in Bogura
- Boyfriend handed over girl to friends after raping
- Specialized vehicle to collect samples in Tangail
- World Environment Day today
- Father-in-law & mother-in-law injured in son-in-law`s attack
- China to lift ban on foreign flights
- Facebook launches Manage Activity for deleting old posts
- Bangladesh Bank allows employees to work from home
- 7 things must be followed for safe journey
- Another 47 tested positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- 18 more infected with COVID-19 in Jamalpur
- 132 more tested coronavirus positive in Chattogram
- Sylhet reports 60 more coronavirus cases
- Global coronavirus death toll surpasses 393,000
- Fire at Gazi Bhaban in the capital doused
- Govt is working hard to keep people safe: PM
- Arctic oil spill prompts Russia`s Putin to declare emergency
- Multi-storey building at Lalbagh catches fire
- Killing of pregnant elephant triggered mass outrage in India
- Transport leaders, workers agreed to stop extortion
- Pakistan’s furious warning to arch-rival India
- Teen-girl Adury changed to male naturally
- Interpol’s help will be sought to nab fugitives in abroad
- Grameenphone CEO meets BSEC Chairman
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare