Coronavirus: Germany confirms 3 more cases
Published: 10:46 AM, 29 January 2020 Updated: 11:05 AM, 29 January 2020
German Federal Ministry of Health
German Health Ministry has confirmed another three cases of the new dangerous strain of coronavirus in Bavaria later on Tuesday, which raised the total number of patients to four in the country.
The three new patients were “connected” to the first found in Germany, which had been verified on Monday.
A 33 years old man from the Starnberg area south of Munich confirmed as Germany's first case of the coronavirus that emerged in central China is believed to have been infected by a Chinese colleague who visited his workplace
The man took part last Tuesday in a training session at his workplace that also included an employee of the same company visiting from China, said Andreas Zapf, the head of Bavaria's office for health and food safety.
There were a total of around 40 employees who have been determined to have been in contact with that Chinese woman. Those affected will be tested on Wednesday as a precaution.
Auto parts supplier Webasto confirmed that it was the company involved and that the man works at its headquarters in Stockdorf, south of Munich.
Webasto is to be shuttered until Sunday, the firm said in a statement. Employees at the headquarters have been instructed not to travel in Germany or abroad.
The first patient was considered to be in a "medically good state," officials said, adding that the risk of infection for people in Bavaria remained low.
Three new cases are being isolated for treatment at the Schwabing hospital in Munich. Authorities have not immediately give further details.
The Bavarian case is the first known example outside of China of the infection spreading between people who are not closely related.
Germany is the second European country to report confirmed cases of the virus.