Coronavirus: 6,527 deaths while 77,786 recovered
Published: 03:03 PM, 16 March 2020
So far, a total of 6,527 people have died from the coronavirus. Photo: Collected
The deadly virus - which began late last year in the central Chinese city of Wuhan - is now affected 157 countries, including Bangladesh, and territories around the world and one international conveyance (the Diamond Princess cruise ship harboured in Yokohama, Japan).
So far, a total of 6,527 people have died from the coronavirus while 170,192 infections have been recorded globally. Besides, a total of 77,786 people (92 percent of total infected) have recovered from the illness.
While the vast majority of known cases are in China, the virus is now spreading faster outside the country than within. Italy, so far, has the highest number of confirmed infections outside China.
About 80,866 people in China have been diagnosed with coronavirus since its emergence in the city of Wuhan, Hubei province, in December.
But there are now also about 90,000 confirmed cases outside China, according to the latest WHO figures. However, the number of people with coronavirus internationally is thought to be a much higher number - as many of those with mild symptoms have not been tested and counted.
After China, Italy has the highest number of confirmed cases. It has 24,747 confirmed cases and a death toll of 2,335. Italian authorities have imposed stringent restrictions, closing nearly all shops, bars, hairdressers, restaurants and cafes until 25 March. Schools, gyms, museums, nightclubs and other venues have already been shut, and people have been ordered to stay home and seek permission for essential travel.
Europe has become the new "epicentre" of the pandemic. Spain has around 8,000 cases, while France and Germany now have more than 5,500 cases each.
Iran announced more than 100 people have died in the past 24 hours, with the confirmed cases nearing 14,000. Tehran said its fight against coronavirus is being severely hampered by US sanctions.
In the Philippines, the capital Manila has been sealed off, with its 12 million residents told to avoid travel for a month. Schools in the city have been closed and large events banned.
In the United States, increased screening measures for people returning from Europe have caused chaos at airports.
In response to the virus's spread, countries around the world are ramping up measures to try to slow it down. Governments have halted flights from virus-hit nations, locked-down towns, urged people to stay at home and suspended major sporting and social events.
A number of international conferences and sporting events have also been cancelled, including Six Nations rugby matches.
- Mahathir vows to challenge expulsion from his own party
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Khulna coronavirus cases rise to 500
- SSC results to be published on Facebook Live
- Universities to remain closed till June 15
- CNN crew covering racial unrest arrested in Minneapolis
- Job circular reduced by 87% in Bangladesh: ADB
- 26 Bangladeshis killed in Libya identified
- Mash’s unique initiatives to fight coronavirus
- Instructions to run public transport following 15 conditions
- 40 more tested positive for COVID-19 in Cumilla
- LaLiga resume June 11, next season Sept 12
- Bangladesh demands Libyan actions, compensation for killing 26 migrants
- Dead UP secretary in Sylhet tests COVID-19 positive
- Bus operations to resume from Monday following health guidelines
- Gazipur nearly to exceed 1100 COVID-19 cases
- Ashraful becomes father of 2nd child
- Temptation on Facebook to give GPA-5 in SSC, youth detained
- AC Land in battle ignoring mother, pregnant wife!
- Bandit killed in Teknaf gunfight, weapons recovered
- Coronavirus: Highest single-day record in Rupganj
- 30th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- CMP to launch Plasma Bank
- SSC results Sunday
- 6 countries allied with Bangladesh in COVID-19 fight
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Bank official’s body recovered 18hrs later since missing
- COVID-19: Over 9,000 people recovered in country
- How to fight COVID-19 after May 30?
- Virtual Court: 20,937 bail order in 10 days
- All News »
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Shokh herself reveals mystery of 2nd marriage?
- 20 die in 24 hrs, 1873 new infected
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Offices resume from May 31
- Japanese wrestler Hana Kimura dies
- Coronavirus cases in country exceed 30,000
- Khashoggi’s sons forgive their father’s killers
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Saudi among 3 countries announces Eid-ul-Fitr on Sunday
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- It was a horrible night: Rukmini
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- Statue in the name of Allah-Muhammad (PBUH)
- Far-right protesters rally across Spain over coronavirus