Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
Published: 04:33 PM, 23 May 2019 Updated: 06:12 PM, 23 May 2019
Photo: On 20 December 2015 Prime Minsiter took salute on BGB day at BGB Headquarters, Plikhana.
General Aziz Ahmed, BSP, BGBM, PBGM, BGBMS, PSC, G, the 16th Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army besides holding his present numerous vital appointments, also performed as the 4th Director General of Border Guards Bangladesh (BGB) from December 5, 2012 to November 15, 2016, the biggest paramilitary forces of the country.
His appointment as the Director-General BGB came in the aftermath of the calamitous disturbances during the last phases of the erstwhile Bangladesh Rifles. The task assigned to him was probably the biggest of all responsibilities following that tremulous period of BDR mutiny, where 57 bright officers lost their lives. He indeed played a vital role in bringing normalcy in the force and reinstated the confidence of the nation upon it by renaming, reorganizing and restructuring the whole force which guards a total of 4,430 KM of borders with two neighboring states of India and Myanmar. Under his command, BGB raised four regional and four sector headquarters, 18 battalions and established 108 new border outposts (BOPs). He singularly created a welfare fund, established a full-fledged commercial schedule bank and many other facilities for BGB. It is to be mentioned that BGB at present covers the fourth largest border mileage in the world with huge manpower of 50,000 with 63 battalions with more than 1,000 Border OutPosts stretching from Banglabandha (Panchagarh) in the North to Shah Parir Dwip Cape (Teknaf) in the south, from Akhainthong (Bandarban) in the east to Mankasha (Chapai Nawabganj) in the West.
Prior to his appointment as Director General, he was also appointed as the Dhaka Sector Commander in the immediate aftermath of BDR mutiny in 2009. During this time, he was perceived as the public face of the mutiny trial. Under his watch, everyone worked extremely hard to bring all the perpetrators of the mutiny to book. His perseverance of rounding up the culprits of the mutiny and ensuring the gathering of all necessary witnesses and evidence to the Honourable Court led to the judgment and all known criminals and culprits were given their deserving punishment. He also scrutinized through all the evidence, inquiries and witnesses meticulously, so that no one is punished unjustifiably. This has set an example in the judicial history of Bangladesh. His patience, perseverance, the impetus has made sure no miscarriage of justice happens during these colossal trials.
General Aziz made a significant record of the exchange of enclaves with India without any hassle or conflict. During his tenure, a total of 18,000 new soldiers were been recruited in the force, including 100 female recruits for the first time in BGB.
As recognition of his outstanding service to the nation, General Aziz was awarded the BGBM medal by the Honorable President. For his charismatic leadership quality for transforming the force, he was conferred the PBGM medal by the Honorable President. He was also awarded the BGBMS medal by the Honorable Prime Minister for rendering extraordinary service to BGB. As DG of BGB, General Aziz was the first overseas "Chief Guest" in the history of BSF to review a passing out Parade at BSF Academy, Tekanpur, India.
General Aziz's contributions to the development of BGB as Director General are briefly enumerated below:
Introduction of separate Rank Badges for BGB
During his command, he on March 23, 2014, introduced new rank badges for BGB. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Establishment of 3 New Hospitals for BGB
General Aziz as Director General BGB, established three hospitals in Chuadanga, Thakurgaon and Khagrachhari for BGB members and also Shimanto Bank at BGB Headquarters. On December 20, 2015, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated these three hospitals and in the same program unveiled the logo of Shimanto Bank Limited at a program at the BGB headquarters.
Establishment of Shimanto Bank Limited for BGB
General Aziz brought a paradigm shift in BGB, by establishing Shimanto Bank Limited, a scheduled bank run by BGB Welfare Trust. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurated Shimanto Bank Limited on September 1, 2016.
Developmental Works at BGB Headquarters
General Aziz undertook and inaugurated huge developmental works for BGB Headquarters. Few of those to be mentioned are:
1. Re-construction work of Shaheed Captain Ashraf Hall at BGB Headquarters on April 6, 2016.
2. Construction of BGB Headquarters Officers' Mess VIP and Ballroom.
3. BGB Wire House on August 22, 2016.
4. 10-storey building Machhalong, a quarter of soldiers, at BGB headquarters in Pilkhana.
5. The 6-storey building Machhranga and Shangkhachil, the followers quarter, at BGB headquarters in Pilkhana.
6. Construction works of the Coronary Care Unit (CCU) at BGB Hospital, Pilkhana.
7. Beauty enhancement works of BGB Hospital at Pilkhana.
(To be continued. Part II coming up soon)
Previous Post on General Aziz: Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5