Continuity of government made Bangladesh’s uplift visible: PM
Published: 10:17 PM, 24 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina spoke at a joint meeting of Awami League`s acting parliament and advisory council in Tungipara, Gopalganj, today - PID
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said continuity of her ruling Awami League (AL) in state power made visible the country’s uplift and urged the party leaders and workers to supplement the government efforts to change the people’s lot.
“Since Awami League’s landslide victory in 2008 (general) elections, we remain in the government for three consecutive terms,” she said addressing a joint meeting of the AL Central Working Committee and Advisory Council here this afternoon.
Sheikh Hasina, who is also the ruling Awami League’s president, said, “The country’s development is being visible and the people’s lot is being changed due to the continuation of our government”.
“Every leader and worker of the party will have to move with the ideology of Father of the Nation. We’ll build a hunger-and-poverty-free Sonar Bangla as dreamt by Bangabandhu Insha Allah,” she said.
The premier said her government was working tirelessly so the people in grassroots and those who lived in rural areas get the benefits of all achievements.
Mentioning that the main aim of the Awami League government is to change the luck of the countrymen, she said “We’re working and will continue to do it to achieve the goal”.
“We’ve attained high growth rate and we’re in strong position economically . . . we’ll continue our drives against terrorism, militancy and corruption,” she said.
Sheikh Hasina said the government has drawn up elaborate programmes to celebrate the ‘Mujib Barsho’ nationally.
“Besides, other organisations and institutions will celebrate Bangabandhu’s birth centenary in a befitting manner,” she said.
“We’ll celebrate Mujib Barsho from March 17, 2020 to March 17, 2021 and we’ve already started its countdown … we’ll also celebrate the golden jubilee of independence in 2021 with a huge enthusiasm,” she said.
“A huge enthusiasm prevails among all on the occasion of Mujib Barsho,” she added.
Sheikh Hasina said the name of Father of the Nation was once wiped out by assassinating him on August 15 in 1975. “But today none could erase his name because he made struggle and suffered pain throughout his life for the people of the country,” she said.
The prime minister said Bangladesh earned independence through 24 years struggle and triumphing victory in the Liberation War under the leadership of the Father of the Nation.
Paying tributes to Bangabandhu, the four national leaders, three million
martyrs and two lakh mothers and sisters, Sheikh Hasina said: “Our aim is to make meaningful the independence which was earned due to their sacrifice.”
The prime minister said over 82 percent people lived under the poverty level when Bangabandhu liberated the country. “But our Awami League government has been able to bring down the (poverty) rate to 20.5 percent,” she said.
Sheikh Hasina said Father of the Nation liberated the country to change a lot of the exploited and deprived people and he also started the work to this end.
“But we’re unfortunate that Bangladesh deviated from that ideology and spirit after the brutal killing of Bangabandhu,” she said.
The prime minister said the country started its journey towards development again when the Awami League government assumed office after long 21 years. “It has been possible as we’re following the ideology of the Father of the Nation,” she said.
Earlier, the newly-elected AL Central Working Committee and Advisory Council led by party President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid rich tributes to the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
They paid the homage by placing wreaths at the mazar (shrine) of the Father of the Nation here this afternoon.
Prime Minister and AL President Sheikh Hasina first laid a wreath at the mazar of Bangabandhu.
After placing the wreath, she stood there in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the architect of the country’s independence.
Later, Sheikh Hasina along with members of the AL Central Working Committee and Advisory Council of the party placed another wreath at the mazar of Bangabandhu, the greatest Bangalee of all times.
They offered Fateha and joined a munajat seeking eternal peace of the departed soul of Bangabandhu. They also attended a milad mahfil there.
Prayers were also offered seeking continued peace, progress and prosperity of the nation as well good health and long life of the prime minister.
Secretaries concerned and special assistants to the prime minister were present on the occasion.
Earlier, the prime minister arrived around 11 am in Tungipara, the ancestral home of the Father of the Nation, by an Air Force helicopter.
After the arrival at Tungipara Upazila Complex ground, she straight went to the mazar of Bangabandhu and recited holy Quran and offered Fateha there.
It was Sheikh Hasina’s first visit to Tungipara after being reelected as the president of Bangladesh Awami League, one of the oldest political parties in the subcontinent.
Sheikh Hasina was reelected as the AL president for the ninth consecutive term, while Obaidul Quader was reelected as the general secretary for the second straight time in the party’s 21st National Council held on December 20-21 last.
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealer held with 404 bottles Phensidyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation