Complete scrutiny of Mirza Abbas’ nomination paper in 24 hrs: HC
Published: 04:17 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 04:18 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court on Tuesday asked the authorities concerned to accept the nomination paper of BNP standing committee member Mirza Abbas and complete the scrutiny within 24 hours.
The HC bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader passed the order following a writ petition filed by Mirza Abbas.
Advocate Zainul Abedin and Advocate Ehsanur Rahman stood for the petitioner.
The HC also issued a rule asking the government to explain why the refusal to accept of Mirza Abbas' nomination paper should not be declared illegal.
The Chief Election Commissioner, Dhaka returning officer and three others have been made respondents to the rule.
On November 28, the returning officer refused to accept the nomination paper of Mirza Abbas as he went to the returning officer's office after 5 pm on the last date of submission of nomination papers.
Later, he submitted the nomination paper to Chief Election Commissioner on December 1 but it was not sent to the returning officer concerned for scrutiny on December 2.
Mirza Abbas filed a writ petition with the High Court on December 3 challenging the Election Commission's decision.
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- ‘Chemical’ evidence found in Churihatta fire incident
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- BNP’s anti-govt comts over city fire improper: Hasan
- Chelsea banned from signing new players
- W.House to keep 200 troops in Syria
- Kartoa Valley land more fertile for tea cultivation: Experts
- Pres at doa for Chawkbazar victims
- DNA samples collected to identify charred bodies
- `Govt instructs to shift godowns from old Dhaka`
- Saudi crown prince meets Chinese president, bags oil deal
- 80 grave ready in Azimpur
- Venezuela seals border
- Unknown panic in Bilchandak!
- Mosquitos killed more humans than all wars
- Dipu Moni emphasizes on lifelong learning for sustainable dev
- No gate keeper in rail crossing
- 7.5 quake hits Peru-Ecuador border
- World`s largest bee found in INDO
- Youth hacked dead in Gazipur
- Chawkbazar fire: Chandpur`s 2 dead
- Kulkhani and Doa Mahfil tomorrow
- ‘Uro Megher Boshonto’ of Nilanjana Neela
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Barrister Razzaq resigns from Jamaat
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP