Common people’s uplift is prerequisite to country’s development: PM
Published: 10:45 PM, 26 January 2020 Updated: 10:48 PM, 26 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today opened a number of development projects including two water treatment plants, two bridges and several train services through video conferencing from Ganabhaban- PID.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today described as prerequisite the common people’s uplift at grassroots for the country’s overall development as she opened a number of development projects including two water treatment plants, two bridges and several train services.
“It will not be possible to ensure overall development of a country by only making capital-centric development,” she said at the opening ceremony of the projects schemes through video conference from her Ganabhaban residence Dhaka.
The premier added: “No country can be developed without socio-economic advancement of the grassroots people . . . It is indeed the reality.”
Sheikh Hasina said the post 1975 governments largely ignored commoners’ welfare and rather created an elite section to give a strong footing to their illegally grabbed power “while our lone target is to ensure overall welfare of the people as we come to the power with people’ mandate”.
The projects the premier opened today are: Sheikh Russel Water Treatment Plant in Chattogram, Bangabandhu Water Treatment Plant in Khulna, Titas Bridge at Nabinagar Upazila in Brahmanbaria, Kaliganga Bridge in Manikganj Sadar, Jamalpur Express on Tarakandi-Jamalpur-Dhaka route, Rajbari Express (old Faridpur Express) on Pachuria-Faridpur-Bhanga route Bhanga, Dhalarchar Express (old Pabna Express) on Dhalarchar-Pabna-Rajshahi route, Udayan and Paharika Expresses on Sylhet-Chattogram route, an App to facilitate the digital functioning of the Palli Sanchay Bank and 12-hour transmission of BTV’s Chattogram centre.
Sheikh Hasina asked the authorities concerned to conduct a survey to find out the old and dilapidated rail bridges across the country and repair those on the urgent basis as these make lower speed of trains as well as make risky the transportation of people and goods.
“It requires repairing the old rail bridges across the country after finding those out by conducting a survey as accident may occur anytime on the bridges. The concerned authorities can prepare a project to this end and we will give our consent to it.”
In this regard, she regretted the BNP government without mentioning its names as it had taken plans to close down rail lines with giving golden handshake to the employees, she said, “The decision (taken by the BNP government) of shutting down the rail lines was suicidal while we are expanding the rail lines across the country as development of communication is a must to ensure country’s overall development.”
The Prime Minister said, traveling by trains is always very safe and comfortable as well as cheaper for which common people used avail train services.
While speaking on Sheikh Russell and Bangabandhu water treatment plants, Sheikh Hasina said, these were constructed spending huge amount of money.
She urged the people of Chattogram and Khulna to show austerity in using water and make sure to stop its misuse.
About the newly constructed bridges on Kaliganga and Titas, the Prime Minister said, her government put highest importance to develop the road communication system to ease transportation of goods and passengers.
These will play a significant role for the socio-economic development of the localities.
She mentioned that desired progress of the country is not possible without development of the communication network.
About inaugurating the app of Palli Shanchay Bank, Sheikh Hasina said, the introduction of the app is a move as part to make Bangladesh digital as her government was pledged-bound to do so. It will bring 22 lakh people under the coverage, she added.
The premier said the Palli Sanchoy Bank was established to collect the small savings of the beneficiaries of the project “My House, My Firm” so they can be self-dependent using their own savings.
She added that the government has taken the project as part of its initiative to ensure that none in the villages remains deprived.
About expansion of transmission hour of BTV’s Chattogram centre to12 hours from the existing six hours, the premier said it would help flourish the regional culture, particularly the culture of the small ethnic groups.
She went on saying, “It will create a scope to bring out the hidden talents of the people alongside generating huge employments, particularly for the cultural activists.”
Mentioning that every house has television set as the financial solvency of the people has been increasing, the premier said that it will also entertain the people.
At the function, the Prime Minister exchanged views with the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the projects through videoconferencing.
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen, Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud, LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Md Tajul Islam, Railways Minister Md Nurul Islam Sujon, former minister Matia Chowdhury, MP, and PM’s Political Adviser HT Imam were present on the dais.
PM’s Principal Secretary Dr Ahmad Kaikaus conducted the function, while Financial Institutions Division Senior Secretary Md Ashadul Islam, Local Government Division Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed, Information Secretary Kamrun Nahar and Railways Additional Secretary Md Mujibur Rahman made presentations on the projects implemented by their respective ministries.
Japanese ambassador to Bangladesh ITO Naoki, Indonesian ambassador to Bangladesh Rina P. Soemarno, World Bank Country Director for Bangladesh and Bhutan Mercy Miyang Tembon and ADB country director for Bangladesh Manmohan Parkash were present, among others.
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Man detained with large number yaba
- 9 hospitalized for drinking tea in Manikganj
- Govt decides to declare 2021 as Tourism Year
- Myanmar army plans trials for abuses on Rohingyas
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Coronavirus infected more than 67,000 globally
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Dhaka-10 by-polls; Those who are in talks