Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
Published: 06:05 PM, 22 August 2019
Commerce Minister Tipu Munshi sought sincere cooperation of Brazilian businessmen and importers alongside the government to pave the way for Bangladeshi products in the country’s market.
He requested the Brazilian government to reduce the existing 35 percent import duty to ease the method of exporting Bangladeshi readymade garment (RMG) and other items to its market.
“If Brazil lowers the duty on import items, its people could get chance to buy world-class Bangladeshi RMG at a reasonable price,” he said during a meeting with the leaders of São Paulo Chamber of Commerce on August 20 in the first phase of his visit to the MERCOSUR, the Southern Common Market comprised of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay, according to a ministry press release received here today.
Referring to Bangladesh’s ongoing endeavor, he told the leaders of the trade body that the main trade barrier, high import duty can be reduced through signing free trade agreements (FTA).
The minister also invited the Brazilian businessmen to visit Bangladesh to find out ways for boosting the bilateral trade.
Highlighting the different facilities offered by the government to the foreign investors, Tipu said Bangladesh is developing 100 special economic zones with the initiative of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and if they (Brazilian Businessmen) want to invest the government is ready to allot a separate zone to them.
In the meeting, Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) and São Paulo Chamber of Commerce signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU). They also decided to strengthen cooperation between the BGMEA and the Textile and Apparel Department of Brazil. An announcement was also made to hold a single country trade fair by the BGMEA on November 7-8 in Sau Paulo.
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- Minni’s trip to Dhaka Saturday
- Tohura star as Bangladesh draw 2-2 with Australia
- ‘Alpha’ to represent Bangladesh in Oscar
- VC Nasir’s one-day tea bill Tk 40,000!
- Fishers’ pleasure of repay dues
- Nusrat murder accused Moni gave birth in prison
- Bangladesh take on Yemen in AFC U-16 Championship tomorrow
- Milan Fashion: J-Lo struts updated jungle dress at Versace
- Dananjaya suspended for illegal action
- Simeone - `I`m not interested` in Griezmann reports
- Housewife dies of dengue in Barishal
- £6bn UK aid for Bangladesh, other climate victim countries
- KCC to get modern slaughterhouse soon
- Pea-flour to prevent dandruff-hair fall
- Huge asteroid narrowly missed Earth; NASA reveals
- Two cases filed against Firoz
- Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Millions march against climate change
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?