Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
Published: 03:23 PM, 25 March 2019 Updated: 06:45 PM, 31 July 2019
Bangladesh Army chief General Aziz Ahmed
Bangladesh Army Chief General Aziz Ahmed, BSP, BGBM, PBGM, BGBMS, psc, G was born on January 1, 1961, at Narayanganj. The General joined Bangladesh Military Academy on August 7, 1981, and was commissioned on June 10, 1983, with 8th BMA Long Course in the Regiment of Artillery. He has taken over the Command of Bangladesh Army as Chief of Army Staff on June 25, 2018.
General Aziz Ahmed has been honored as the Colonel Commandant of the Armored Corps, Regiment of Artillery, Colonel of the Regiment of The East Bengal and Bangladesh Infantry Regiment.
Bangladesh Army chief General Aziz Ahmed completed his graduation in BA (pass) under Chittagong University in 1983. He is a graduate of Defense Services Command and Staff College, Mirpur. He completed his Masters in Defense Studies (MDS) and Masters of Science (M.Sc) (Technical) from National University and also earned Masters in Business Administration (Executive) from American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB). General Aziz Ahmed is now pursuing PhD in border management under Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP).
General Aziz Ahmed attended a number of professional courses, seminars and symposiums at home and abroad. Worth mentioning are Officers' Gunnery Staff Course from Artillery Center & School, Chittagong and Long Gunnery Staff Course from School of Artillery, Deolali, India. He attended Pacific Army Senior Officers Logistic Seminar (PASOLS) in Fiji, Pacific Area Special Operations Conference (PASOC) in Florida & Hawaii, International Border Police Conference in Poland, Border Police Conference in Hungary, World Border police Congress in Netherlands. He led 08 bilateral Director General (DG) Level Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) - Border Security Force (BSF) conferences. He also attended a Conference on Technical Cooperation & Capacity building for Border Management in Thailand.
Within his colorful military career, he held a number of important staff, instructional and command appointments. He had been a GSO-3 (Operation) in Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT), Brigade major in an infantry brigade, GSO-II of Military Training and GSO-I of Pay Pension & Allowance Directorate in AHQ. General has a vast experience of command where he commanded one Artillery Regiment, one Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) Battalion, one BDR Sector, two Artillery brigades including an Independent Air Defense Artillery. The General also served as instructor for more than seven years in Artillery Center & School and School of Military Intelligence.
General Aziz Ahmed was the GOC of 33 Infantry Division as Lieutenant General. He was the GOC of Army Training and Doctrine Command (ARTDOC) and Quarter Master General (QMG) of Bangladesh Army. General is currently acting as the Chairman, Board of Directors of Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory limited, Bangladesh Diesel Plant limited & Trust Bank Limited. He is the Chairman, Board of Trustees of Sena Kalyan Sangsta and President of Bangladesh Golf Federation, Kurmitola Golf Club and Bangladesh Olympic Association.
After the BDR Carnage, he was the 4th DG and commanded the force from December 5, 2012, to November 16, 2016, and played the key role to bring normalcy in the force and reinstated confidence of the nation upon it. Under his command, BGB raised four regional and sector headquarters each, 14 battalions and established 108 new border outposts covering 310 KM out of 539 KM unguarded border with India & Myanmar in CHT.
During his tenure, General Aziz Ahmed made a significant record of exchange of enclaves with India without any hassle. He undertook many welfare projects for BGB soldiers. Worth mentioning are the "Shimanto Bank" a commercial enterprise; three new 50 bedded modern Hospitals, etc. During his term, a total of 18,000 new soldiers were recruited in the force, including 100 female recruits for the first time. As DG BGB, General Aziz Ahmed was the first overseas "Chief Guest" in the history of BSF to review a passing out Parade at BSF Academy, Tekanpur, India.
As commanding officer and sector commander, Colonel Aziz Ahmed (now General) displayed highest degree of honesty and integrity, sense of duty and responsibility to screen more than 7500 mutineers and rendered invaluable service in the trial process. As recognition of this outstanding service to the nation, government of Bangladesh awarded him Distinguished Service Medal, BSP.
As Commanding Officer of a BDR unit and Sector Commander of BDR (Now BGB), Colonel (now General) Aziz Ahmed played a leading role in implementing various reform programs. For this outstanding service, he was awarded the BGBM medal by the Honorable President. For his charismatic leadership quality for transforming the force, he was conferred the PBGM medal by the Honorable President. He was also awarded the BGBMS medal by the Honorable Prime Minister for rendering extraordinary service to BGB.
Bangladesh Army chief General Aziz Ahmed has been awarded the prestigious ‘King Abdul Aziz Medal of Excellence’ by the King of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in February 2019. This prestigious medal has been awarded to the army chief in recognition of his exceptional role in enhancing the friendly and cooperative relations between Bangladesh and Saudi Armies.
As Major, he served very efficiently as a Military Observer in the United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) in the war-ravaged country in 1995-1996. He also served as Military Assistant to Force Commander of United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) in 2005-2006.
Bangladesh Army chief is a widely-travelled personality. He has visited many countries around the globe. General Aziz Ahmed is married to Begum Dilshad Nahar Aziz and they are parents of three sons. Their eldest son is a banker, second son is an officer in Bangladesh Army and the youngest one is attending school. The sports-loving General has a keen interest in golf and also in reading.
- FIFA WC Qualifiers: Bangladesh face India today
- 4 including ‘Aminur Bahini’ chief killed in gunfight
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars today
- Neymar out for four weeks say PSG
- Syrian army heads north after Kurdish deal
- Alive baby girl found inside grave!
- Boundary count scrapped as tie-breaker in ICC events
- Zimbabwe, Nepal reinstated as Members of ICC
- Use smartphone without harming your eyes
- Bangladesh security team to visit Pakistan this week
- Drink water to get lifetime beauty
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Bangladesh Women’s A concedes T20 series to India
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- French politicians asking to cancel France-Turkey match over salute
- Feeling responsible for the country: Torsa
- Protests outside Salman Khan’s house
- Facebook taking money to promote lies!
- Robi offers 10 pc special discount
- Rule to recommend 74 BCS appointed teachers as Gazetted Officer
- Curfew issued in Ayodhya
- HC stays arrest warrant against Dr Yunus
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Ansu Fati set for whopping signing bonus in new contract
- Embezzlement the full allocation!
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Bangladesh 2nd fastest growing economy in South Asia: WB
- Catalan leaders given lengthy terms over independence bid
- Tips to remove rice-weevil
- All News »
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Abrar murder: BUET students place 8-point demand
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Abrar murder: 9 BCL men held, case filed against 19
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Abrar’s roommate Mizan held
- Abrar laid to rest
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Execrable ‘Hope Diamond’
- Abrar murder: 10 accused remanded for five days
- Abrar Murder: Amit Shaha of room-2011 held
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- The king who rose from the dead
- MBBS admission test today
- Buet students place fresh 10-point demand
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- A tale of Titanic survivor Elsie Bowerman
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- BUET VC at campus in students protest
- China`s first polar observation satellite supports polar research
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- Swedish King removes grandchildren from royal house
- Uighur abuse: US blacklists 28 China organisations
- The lake that turns life to stone!
- S.Africa court rules Zuma must face corruption trial
- Bangladesh face Qatar in FIFA WC Qualifying
- Abrar murder case hands over to DB