Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
Published: 03:23 PM, 25 March 2019 Updated: 03:48 PM, 25 March 2019
General Aziz Ahmed
General Aziz Ahmed, BSP, BGBM, PBGM, BGBMS, psc, G was born on January 1, 1961, at Narayanganj. The General joined Bangladesh Military Academy on August 7, 1981, and was commissioned on June 10, 1983, with 8th BMA Long Course in the Regiment of Artillery. He has taken over the Command of Bangladesh Army as Chief of Army Staff on June 25, 2018.
He has been honored as the Colonel Commandant of the Armored Corps, Regiment of Artillery, Colonel of the Regiment of The East Bengal and Bangladesh Infantry Regiment.
General Aziz completed his graduation in BA (pass) under Chittagong University in 1983. He is a graduate of Defense Services Command and Staff College, Mirpur. He completed his Masters in Defense Studies (MDS) and Masters of Science (M.Sc) (Technical) from National University and also earned Masters in Business Administration (Executive) from American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB). The General is now pursuing PhD in border management under Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP).
General Aziz attended a number of professional courses, seminars and symposiums at home and abroad. Worth mentioning are Officers' Gunnery Staff Course from Artillery Center & School, Chittagong and Long Gunnery Staff Course from School of Artillery, Deolali, India. He attended Pacific Army Senior Officers Logistic Seminar (PASOLS) in Fiji, Pacific Area Special Operations Conference (PASOC) in Florida & Hawaii, International Border Police Conference in Poland, Border Police Conference in Hungary, World Border police Congress in Netherlands. He led 08 bilateral Director General (DG) Level Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) - Border Security Force (BSF) conferences. He also attended a Conference on Technical Cooperation & Capacity building for Border Management in Thailand.
Within his colorful military career, he held a number of important staff, instructional and command appointments. He had been a GSO-3 (Operation) in Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT), Brigade major in an infantry brigade, GSO-II of Military Training and GSO-I of Pay Pension & Allowance Directorate in AHQ. General has a vast experience of command where he commanded one Artillery Regiment, one Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) Battalion, one BDR Sector, two Artillery brigades including an Independent Air Defense Artillery. The General also served as instructor for more than seven years in Artillery Center & School and School of Military Intelligence.
He was the GOC of 33 Infantry Division as Lieutenant General he was the GOC of Army Training and Doctrine
Command (ARTDOC) and Quarter Master General (QMG) of Bangladesh Army. General is currently acting as the Chairman, Board of Directors of Bangladesh Machine Tools Factory limited, Bangladesh Diesel Plant limited & Trust Bank Limited. He is the Chairman, Board of Trustees of Sena Kalyan Sangsta and President of Bangladesh Golf Federation, Kurmitola Golf Club and Bangladesh Olympic Association.
After the BDR Carnage, he was the 4th DG and commanded the force from December 5, 2012, to November 16, 2016, and played the key role to bring normalcy in the force and reinstated confidence of the nation upon it. Under his command, BGB raised four regional and sector headquarters each, 14 battalions and established 108 new border outposts covering 310 KM out of 539 KM unguarded border with India & Myanmar in CHT.
During his tenure, General Aziz made a significant record of exchange of enclaves with India without any hassle. He undertook many welfare projects for BGB soldiers. Worth mentioning are the "Shimanto Bank" a commercial enterprise; three new 50 bedded modern Hospitals, etc. During his term, a total of 18,000 new soldiers were recruited in the force, including 100 female recruits for the first time. As DG BGB, General was the first overseas "Chief Guest" in the history of BSF to review a passing out Parade at BSF Academy, Tekanpur, India.
As commanding officer and sector commander, Colonel Aziz (now General) displayed highest degree of honesty and integrity, sense of duty and responsibility to screen more than 7500 mutineers and rendered invaluable service in the trial process. As recognition of this outstanding service to the nation, government of Bangladesh awarded him Distinguished Service Medal, BSP.
As Commanding Officer of a BDR unit and Sector Commander of BDR (Now BGB), Colonel (now General) Aziz played a leading role in implementing various reform programs. For this outstanding service, he was awarded the BGBM medal by the Honorable President. For his charismatic leadership quality for transforming the force, he was conferred the PBGM medal by the Honorable President. He was also awarded the BGBMS medal by the Honorable Prime Minister for rendering extraordinary service to BGB.
General Aziz has been awarded the prestigious ‘King Abdul Aziz Medal of Excellence’ by the King of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in February 2019. This prestigious medal has been awarded to the army chief in recognition of his exceptional role in enhancing the friendly and cooperative relations between Bangladesh and Saudi Armies.
As Major, he served very efficiently as a Military Observer in the United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission (UNIKOM) in the war-ravaged country in 1995-1996. He also served as Military Assistant to Force Commander of United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) in 2005-2006.
General Aziz is a widely-travelled personality. He has visited many countries around the globe. General Aziz is married to Begum Dilshad Nahar Aziz and they are parents of three sons. Their eldest son is a banker, second son is an officer in Bangladesh Army and the youngest one is attending school. The sports-loving General has a keen interest in golf and also in reading.
- Moeen urges fans to not heckle Warner, Smith
- Ultrasound: The future of diabetes treatment?
- Everything will be done for farmer: Razzak
- South Korea to invest $6m in Mongla EPZ
- Condition of Khalid Hossain detrioates
- Adverse weather affects Litchi farming in Rangpur
- ‘No public transport run without tickets’
- Ex-husband files lawsuit against Mila
- Rhodes elated to see youngsters takes big stride
- Amir, Wahab named in Pakistan`s World Cup squad
- No traffic congestion in Sujanagar
- No contractual recruitment in edu institutions
- Tigers confidence in hands of expertise
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-2)
- HC seeks inquiry report on corruption at Rooppur plant
- Google restricts Huawei`s use of Android
- ‘Govt wants militancy free economic development’
- HC orders to monitor fruit markets
- Cabinet reshuffled to speed up work: Quader
- 20-points proposals from Jatri Kalyan for safe Eid journey
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 32 dead in Tajikistan prison riot
- Five matches to be held at the Rose Bowl
- Results of 38th BCS written exam before Eid
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- Quader returns home this evening
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Quader to join his office today
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- President reaches London
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg