City elections on Jan 30: HC
Published: 04:27 PM, 14 January 2020 Updated: 07:06 PM, 14 January 2020
The High Court on Tuesday has rejected the writ petition its directive to defer the elections to the two Dhaka city corporations due to Saraswati Puja. As a result, the elections of the two Dhaka city corporations is being held on January 30.
The High Court bench of Justice JBM Hassan and Justice Md Khairul Alam passed the order.
Lawyer Ashok Kumar Ghosh was present for the writ. Lawyer Touhidul Islam was present for the Election Commission.
Another bench of the High Court on Sunday dismissed a writ petition seeking a directive to defer the elections to the two Dhaka city corporations.
On January 6, Advocate Ashoke Kumar Ghosh, a Supreme Court lawyer, filed the writ seeking its directive to defer the polls from January 30 as Saraswati Puja, one of the biggest religious festivals of the Hindu community, will be celebrated across the country on the day.
The lawyer said Saraswati Puja will be on January 29 and 30. On this occasion, Saraswati Puja will be organized in various educational institutions of the country including Dhaka. “But polling booths will be set up at education institutes on the occasion of two city elections in Dhaka. For this purpose, the writ was made to defer the city elections,” he added.
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- HC stays Primary recruitment test result of 14 districts
- Youth wants Mir’s daughter number!
- Miller encourages voters to cast votes
- Science-Technology Fair begins in Adamdighi
- 3 brother detained for stabbing elder
- RAB detained 4 robbers in Capital
- After 5 Tk’s food students getting toilet
- Conflict of authority hampers academic process
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- DU expels 63 students for life
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Mashrafe playing despite 14 stitches in hand
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- DNCC, DSCC polls: No motorcycle ply for 72 hrs