Christmas Day today
Published: 10:40 AM, 25 December 2017 Updated: 04:17 PM, 25 December 2017
The Christian community of the country celebrates Christmas Day today with festivity commemorating the birthday of Jesus Christ as elsewhere in the world.
Christmas is the biggest religious festival of the Christian community. They celebrates the festival amid merriment and festivity religious fervor offering special prayers, illuminating churches, installing makeshift Christmas trees at homes and places of worship and missions.
Elder people of the community, attired in the outfit of Santa Claus, make fun with children and distribute gifts among children and exchange of pleasantries as part of a universal Christian practice.
On the eve of the day, President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina issued separate messages and greeted members of the Christian community on this occasion.
In his message, President Hamid said Bangladesh is a country of communal harmony where the people are tied with the bond of love and friendship.
President Hamid called upon all to work together to build a happy, prosperous and non-communal Bangladesh. He said Jesus Christ had invited the derailed people to the path of truth and justice. The path of salvation lies in love, services, forgiveness, compassion and sympathy, added the President.
In her message, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina called upon the people irrespective of caste, creed and religion to come forward to expedite the development activities in the country.
She hoped that the Christmas will further strengthen the relations between the Christians and the people of other communities.
Churches have been illuminated, Christmas trees set up and candles lit at homes and churches by the Christian community to celebrate the event with due religious fervour. This is a great `day of days` for children in the Christian community, who sing carols on the occasion in praise of Jesus Christ and God and exchange gifts.
The day is a public holiday. The national dailies will publish special articles marking the Christmas. Bangladesh Television, Bangladesh Betar and private radio stations and TV channels will air special Christmas programmes.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves