Chinese team disqualified for cheating at Military World Games
Published: 04:44 PM, 25 October 2019
A Chinese team has been kicked out of its own Military World Games after other countries alerted judges to "extensive cheating" by the hosts -reports CNN.
Originally the Chinese athletes had taken the first, second and fourth places in the women's middle-distance orienteering competition, as well as second place in the men's, during the race on Sunday, according to a statement by the International Orienteering Federation (IOF).
But after a complaint by six European countries, including Russia and France, judges discovered that Chinese runners have been assisted by local spectators. This included onlookers placing markings and preparing special paths in the terrain for Chinese athletes, which only those competitors were aware of.
The Chinese team was banned from taking part in the long-distance orienteering competition, according to the IOF.
"The IOF takes the actions of the Chinese team very seriously," IOF Secretary General Tom Hollowell said in a statement, adding that the organization was "investigating if any further actions need to be taken to guarantee the fairness of competition at the upcoming World Cup final in Guangzhou, China from October 25."
Like the Olympics, the Military World Games are held every four years. The inaugural competition was held in Rome in 1995 and this is China's first time hosting the event, which will continue until October 30.
More than 9,000 athletes from 109 countries are expected to take part in the Wuhan games, according to local organizers.
Among the events are swimming, parachuting, orienteering and wrestling. So far, China is substantially leading on the medal tally, with twice as many gold medals as the nearest competitor Russia.
- UK Election: Johnson ahead of the booth return survey
- BPL: Rajshahi, Sylhet, Dhaka, Cumilla to play today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- Indian entrepreneurs urged to invest in Bangladesh
- Britain votes in ‘Brexit election’
- BB new Executive Director Kazi Enayet Hossain
- 1 killed in Munshiganj wall collapse
- Twitter backs overhaul of social media to stem disinformation
- 2 killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Mashrafe focuses on next game
- 1 dies as workers continue hunger strike
- ‘Corruption in education sector will be eliminated’
- ‘No event under open sky on 31st night’
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Three of a family found dead in Barishal