Chinese rover now exploring Moon
Published: 10:43 PM, 4 January 2019 Updated: 10:43 PM, 4 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A Chinese robotic rover has got its wheels dirty after rolling off its landing craft and onto the lunar soil.
The Chang'e-4 spacecraft touched down on the far side of the Moon at 10:26 Beijing time (02:26 GMT) on Thursday.
Lunar exploration chief Wu Weiren echoed Neil Armstrong's famous quote, telling state media the event marked a "huge stride" for China.
The rover and lander are carrying instruments to analyse the unexplored region's geology.
It represents the first ever such attempt and landing on the far side of the Moon, which has distinct characteristics to the near side we can see from Earth.
According to the Guardian newspaper, Weiren told the state broadcaster CCTV: "The separation of Chang'e 4's rover was smooth and perfect."
"The rover rolled only a small step on to the Moon, but it represented a huge stride for the Chinese nation."
The rover touched the lunar surface at 22:22 Beijing time (14:22 GMT), about 12 hours after the landing.
The event was captured by the camera on the lander and the images were sent back to the Earth via the relay satellite "Queqiao", China's Xinhua state news agency reported.
China has also chosen a name for the rover - Yutu 2 - following a worldwide poll to name the rover in August.
In Chinese folklore, Yutu is the white pet rabbit of Chang'e, the moon goddess who lent her name to the Chinese lunar mission.
The number two at the end of the name acknowledges its predecessor, a Chinese rover called Yutu which touched down at Mare Imbrium on the Moon's near side in 2013.
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Bogura-6 by-election underway
- Death toll rises to 5 in Kulaura train crash
- Pirate leader killed in gunfight
- "Huge" blast rocks military hospital in Pakistan
- Tigers face Afghanistan today
- Train crash: 4-member probe committee formed
- Four killed in Kulaura train crash
- Pakistan condemn woeful South Africa to WC exit
- Arab ministers on financial support for Palestinian Authority
- 7 Common distractions of Khushoo faced in Salah
- President alert SSF for duty and behavior
- Six-day ‘Exercise Pacific Angel’ begins in Lalmonirhat
- Corruption case to be lodged in ACC office
- ‘Waterway re-dredging begins to expand marine transport’
- Bogura-6 by-polls Monday
- India’s temple tent collapses during worship, kills 14
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI