China`s first polar observation satellite supports polar research
Published: 11:29 PM, 9 October 2019
China's first polar observation satellite, the BNU-1, has successfully obtained data on polar regions, according to the satellite's chief scientist Wednesday.
After nearly one month of in-orbit testing, the satellite is working normally and conducting full-coverage observation of the Antarctic and the Arctic every day, Cheng Xiao, the chief scientist, said at the China Symposium on Polar Science 2019.
Cheng said the satellite data connection system launched on Tuesday allows scientists around the world to obtain polar observation data acquire by the satellite. Registered users can also propose new observation requirements.
The satellite continuously monitored a gigantic iceberg breaking away from the Amery Ice Shelf in east Antarctica in September, helping limit its impact on submerged buoys and investigation ships in the surrounding area.
Cheng said the satellite will help reduce China's reliance on foreign satellites for polar observation data.
"The satellite's spatial resolution reaches 75 meters, which offers more detailed information on the ice cover and the sea ice," Cheng said.
The satellite will also support China's upcoming 36th Antarctic expedition by enhancing its navigation capability in the polar ice zone.
Developed by the Beijing Normal University and Shenzhen Aerospace Dongfanghong Development Ltd., the satellite weighs 16 kg and is equipped with two cameras and one receiver. It has great significance in promoting the research of polar regions and global climate change.
- Eggs Halwa
- Bus kills Nushrat in Noakhali
- Immigration through Tamabil border suspended
- Mahmudullah ready to change Chattogram’s fate
- Royals beat Thunder by 8 wickets
- Apex court’s new judges paid tribute to Bangabandhu
- Cumilla opt to bowl against Dhaka
- Over 22 Bangladeshi companies to participate in JITF ‘19
- Human chain protesting poor road construction
- ‘Bangabandhu’s actual history was barred to know till ’96’
- 2 ministers defer India visit for state bustle
- Martyred Intellectuals’ Day tomorrow
- World’s biggest cricket stadium takes shape in India
- Boris Johnson back in power, claims Brexit with big majority
- Rohit Sharma becomes La Liga brand ambassador
- Tulip Siddiq reelected in UK general election
- 47 detained in anti-drug drive
- Neymar rounding into form as Marseille give chase
- 22 executed in US this year
- 4 detained with yaba in Teknaf
- Mobile internet cut in Meghalaya, curfew in Shillong
- European media criticizes Myanmar State Councilor
- Decision on Rohingya genocide soon: ICJ president
- UK Election: Johnson ahead of the booth return survey
- BPL: Rajshahi, Sylhet, Dhaka, Cumilla to play today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey