China`s Huawei to make more contribution in 2020
Published: 10:27 PM, 17 February 2020
China's tech giant Huawei has planned to enhance its contribution to capacity building for Ethiopians in the information and communication technologies (ICT) sector this year, targeting increased number of beneficiaries.
The Huawei Ethiopia CEO, Zhou Tianbing, told Xinhua on Monday that Huawei will continue its activities helping the East African country improve education development with most advanced technologies, with committed efforts to bridge the digital divide for Ethiopians.
Huawei has launched and been implementing different initiatives to improve the ICT capacity of young people in Ethiopia, in particular, and Africa in general.
"With a view of building ICT capacity and further improve ICT development, Huawei has launched three major initiatives dubbed Seeds for the Future, ICT competition, and ICT Talent Ecosystem, and these projects have benefited tens of thousands of students at the levels of elementary, secondary and higher education."Zhou said.
Recalling that Huawei commenced its Seeds for Future project in Ethiopia in 2016, whereby 10 most talented students are sent to China every year for short-term training, the CEO said Huawei, in cooperation with the Ethiopian Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE), would continue to select 10 students from top universities across the country.
Huawei, since 2018, has been undertaking its project of ICT Competition, in which 2,357 students from 22 universities of Ethiopia participated in the year 2019, with increased number of participants, which was a little more than 500 in 2018. And one teacher and three students have been qualified for the final competition to be held in China.
In 2020, Huawei has targeted to engage more than 3,000 students from 28 universities to show their talents in the ICT competition.
On the ICT Talent Ecosystem of Ethiopia, Huawei signed an agreement with MoSHE in January 2017 for joint construction of ICT Academies in 37 public higher education institutions.
The two sides also signed agreement in January 2019 to jointly construct ICT Academies in technical and vocational education and training (TVET), the first time in Ethiopia to extend Huawei Academy to TVET.
Huawei has launched courses in more than 20 universities and TVETs, and has trained more than 1,500 ICT students.
With the initiative of ICT Academy, Huawei has a plan to open courses this year in nine more universities and three more TVETs in Ethiopia.
Reiterating that Huawei Ethiopia attaches great importance to helping the country improve education development with more advanced ICT, Zhou said his company would further strengthen its support in the year 2020.
In 2015, Huawei worked with 65 schools in Ethiopia for the implementation of SchoolNet by deploying 5,200 cloud desktops in the schools. In 2017, Huawei SchoolNet Education Cloud has deployed 25,000 cloud desktops for a total of 310 schools in 9 regions and 2 cities of the country.
By now, Huawei's Education Cloud Solution has covered 365 secondary schools, 10 universities, with more than 30,000 cloud desktops, which have benefited more than 27,000 teachers and students, according to the CEO.
Huawei has also worked together with more than 10 top universities in Ethiopia, where it has constructed the most advanced datacenters, fixed & wireless school networks and Education Cloud for them.
So far, more than 300,000 college students have become beneficiaries of digital research and development, digital education and distant education empowered by Huawei, he said.
- Boris Johnson shifted to ICU
- France records nearly 9000 deaths in coronavirus infection
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 10, 000 in US
- Coronavirus death toll surging to 74000
- 3 more detected with coronavirus in Keraniganj, area ‘lockdown’
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 72 thousand
- BGMEA, BKMEA urge factory owners to pay wages by Apr 16
- MP distributes food items among 5,000 families
- Coronavirus patient detected in Narsingdi
- Rangamati Zilla Parishad to distribute relief to 1,500 families
- Haldarpara goes into lockdown voluntarily
- Irfan-Yusuf distribute 10t rice, 700 kg potato
- Fine for reasonless roaming
- ‘Govt order on mosque correct and veritable’
- Siam-Pori return home finally
- 80 Bangladeshi expats die of coronavirus
- 18 more samples tested in Chattogram
- Illegal sand lifting amid coronavirus
- Free vegetable markets in Ctg alleys
- 2 former cricketers died
- COVID-19 patients in India rises to 4,553 with 118 death tolls
- Javed is out of danger
- Cabinet orders law enforcers to strictly enforce social distancing
- 9 Tablig members quarantined at mosque
- 905 families get food aid in Godagari
- Elderly man dies at isolation in Chattogram
- Online class facilities for HSC students
- 2 youth in isolation in Habiganj
- Only IEDCR’s information correct: DGHS
- All shops except pharmacies to close by 7pm
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Army to go tough from today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- John Prine critically ill with coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US singer Joe Diffie dies of coronavirus
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- Nobel Prize winner Malala in quarantine
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- US experienced highest death record in a day