China hopeful of smooth election in Bangladesh
Published: 04:38 PM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 04:38 PM, 8 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Chinese Ambassador to Bangladesh Zhang Zuo on Saturday hoped that the next national election in Bangladesh, scheduled for December 30, will go very "well and smooth", saying that China will deepen its ties with Bangladesh on all fronts.
"We hope, you'll have a very smooth election. Bangladeshis and political parties can have that (well and smooth polls)," he told reporters after attending Cosmos Dialogue on Bangladesh-China relations in the city.
The Chinese Ambassador, who attended the dialogue as the chief guest, said the two countries will further deepen political, economic and people-to-people relationship.
"China will remain a development partner of Bangladesh," he said.
On Rohingya issue, he said China wants to play a constructive role in this regard.
Cosmos Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Bangladeshi conglomerate Cosmos Group, hosted the symposium titled 'Bangladesh-China Relations: Prognosis for the Future' at Six Seasons Hotel in the city.
Experts both from Bangladesh and China attended the symposium and assessed the Bangladesh-China relationship in the present context and identified the challenges and opportunities.
Chairman of Cosmos Foundation Enayetullah Khan delivered the welcome speech.
Principal Research Fellow at the Institute of South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore and a former Adviser to Bangladesh's previous caretaker government Dr Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury chaired the session.
The symposium was part of the Cosmos Foundation's 'Dialogue' series, in which a high-level expert panel was tasked with tackling a particularly pressing issue of the day, followed by the participation of an informed and engaging audience.
The panel comprised Prof Li Tao, Executive Director of the Institute of South Asian Studies at Sichuan University in China; Yuan Jirong, Chief Journalist at the India Bureau of the People's Daily; historian and media personality Afsan Chowdhury; and Dr Imtiaz Ahmed, a professor at the Department of International Relations of Dhaka University.
In 2017, the bilateral trade value reached US$ 16 billion, 5.8 percent higher than last year's, with China remaining the number 1 trade partner of Bangladesh, according to the Chinese Embassy here.
In the first half of this year, data shows, the bilateral trade value stands at US$ 9.35 billion, with a growth rate of 17.6 percent year on year.
China and Bangladesh share close people-to-people bond, similar national realities, and complementary development goals.
The people of Bangladesh and China are bound together by ancient ties through the formal diplomatic relations commenced in 1975 and the state in both countries has shown itself to be sensitive to the historic depth of people-to-people contact.
- Superbugs linked to 80% deaths in Bangladeshi ICUs
- Slower internet for seven days more
- Rana’s bail remain suspend in double murder case
- RK Mission`s disputed teacher expelled
- PM leaves Brunei for home
- Vinicius is finally set to return to action
- Woe to 6 upazilas for Rangamati launch shutdown
- Parliament session begin tomorrow
- Brunei backing Bangladesh in energy sector
- Govt responsibility to ensure expatriates’ welfare: PM
- Consulting firm for Payra port terminal appointed
- Sri Lanka detains Syrian in investigation of blasts
- Only one physician, but in training!
- Innovative child malaria vaccine to be tested
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- Probe report of Abrar’s case May 21
- Panic in class as beehives in school
- 20 gold bars worth Tk 1.15cr recovered at Sylhet airport
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ tomorrow
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband