China condemns US navy sail-by in disputed waters
Published: 04:19 PM, 22 November 2019
China on Friday accused the US of “provocative” conduct after two US warships sailed near islands claimed by Beijing this week, adding to tensions between the global powers.
The US Navy regularly conducts “freedom of navigation operations” in the disputed South China Sea, where China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have competing claims.
The US Navy said the USS Gabrielle Giffords littoral combat ship sailed near Mischief Reef in the Spratly Islands Wednesday, and the USS Wayne E. Meyer guided-missile destroyer passed the Paracel Islands on Thursday.
“USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) challenged the restrictions on innocent passage imposed by China, Taiwan, and Vietnam and also contested China’s claim to straight baselines enclosing the Paracel Islands,” Commander Reann Mommsen, spokeswoman for the US 7th Fleet based in Japan, told AFP.
China dispatched military vessels to identify and monitor the US ships and warned them to leave, the People’s Liberation Army Southern Theatre Command said in a statement Friday.
“Recently, the US has used the pretext of ‘freedom of navigation’ to frequently send warships to the South China Sea area to cause trouble,” the statement said.
“We urge the US to cease this kind of provocative, risky conduct, to prevent unforeseen incidents.”
Mommsen said the operations were designed to “demonstrate that the United States will fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allows — regardless of the location of excessive maritime claims and regardless of current events”.
Washington and Beijing are locked in a bruising trade war and have tussled over diplomatic issues, including a bill passed by the US Congress this week in support of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.
- Khulna Tigers earn stunning win over Challengers
- Citizenship Bill: Cops open fire in Assam, 3 dead
- Kathbirali gets censor certificate
- Painting contest to mark Bhasani’s birth anniversary
- Indian entrepreneurs urged to invest in Bangladesh
- Britain votes in ‘Brexit election’
- BB new Executive Director Kazi Enayet Hossain
- 1 killed in Munshiganj wall collapse
- Twitter backs overhaul of social media to stem disinformation
- 2 killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Mashrafe focuses on next game
- 1 dies as workers continue hunger strike
- ‘Corruption in education sector will be eliminated’
- ‘No event under open sky on 31st night’
- Wheelchair cricketers eyeing to win title
- PM asks public servants to stay alert about graft, bribery
- Khulna to field against Chattogram
- DC’s gift to freedom fighters door
- Recruitment test of BB Officer General Dec 27
- Rajshahi secures comfortable victory against Dhaka
- 13 arrested over Rooppur pillow scam
- Kumar Bishwajit’s mother passes away
- Foreign Minister’s India visit postponed
- Lawsuits against 135 including Fakhrul-Rizvi
- ASEAN disappointed over Myanmar’s genocide defending speech
- Cough remedy by natural syrup
- Dhaka set 135 for Rajshahi
- Ali Ajgar’s generosity for poor people
- Rain suspends play in Rawalpindi Test
- Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Storm over new black hole issue
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe