China and Russia oppose UN resolution on Rohingya
Published: 02:18 PM, 25 December 2017 Updated: 12:25 PM, 8 January 2018
General Assembly of the United Nations (UN) on Sunday urged Myanmar to end a military campaign against Muslim Rohingya in Rakhine state and called for the appointment of a UN special envoy, despite opposition from China, Russia, the Philippines and some others regional countries.
A resolution put forward by the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) was adopted by a vote of 122 to 10 with 24 abstentions. Russia, China, the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam joined Myanmar in voting against the measure as did Belarus, Syria and Zimbabwe.
The resolution calls on the government to ensure the return of all refugees and grant full citizenship rights to the Rohingya and allow access for aid workers.
It requests that UN secretary general Antonio Guterres appoint a special envoy to Myanmar, international media reported. The measure was adopted by the assembly after its budget committee gave the green light to funds for the new position of UN special envoy to Myanmar.
More than 650,000 Muslim Rohingya have fled the mainly Buddhist country since the military operation was launched in Rakhine state in late August.
Myanmar authorities insist the campaign is aimed at rooting out Rohingya militants who attacked police posts on 25 August. But the UN said the violence amounts to ethnic cleansing.
- Greta slams `misleading` climate pledges at chaotic UN summit
- Afif seeks tips from Russell to be good power-hitter
- Six dead in hours-long New York-area shootout
- Momen leaves for India tomorrow
- Minority people are living in peace: Quader
- Three motorcycles suddenly on ablaze in front of High Court
- Avijit Roy killing: Court summons Bonya Dec 30
- BRAC, NF to build 50 learning centers for Rohingya children
- Dhaka pushes for support to deal with climate change
- Suu Kyi titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Govt works to increase trade ties with Belarus: Commerce Minister
- Myanmar people calling Suu Kyi a liar
- Premier Chess: Saif SC, Bangladesh Police maintain their lead
- Eat 2 Dates every day
- Access barred to National Memorial from Dec 12 to 15
- Cumilla starts BBPL with 105-run win
- ‘All registered parties should include ‘Joy Bangla’ slogan’
- Law enforcers will offset violence: Quader
- Kamal for low-cost net connections in Asia-Pacific region
- Bangladeshi among 5 killed in Saudi road accident
- US-Bangla Airlines with `Evelly Celluloid 71`
- 2 women detained with weed
- Mushy vows to keep up his good form in BBPL
- DNCC gets waste management system in 18 wards
- UGC orders all public universities to shut evening courses
- Internet blackout in Assam after Tripura
- Keraniganj factory fire under control, 1 dies
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Suu Kyi
- 10 killed in Somalia hotel attack
- Khoka, Selim Osman elected JaPa’s Presidium Members
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- 4 killed in Florida police shootout over armed robbery
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- E-passport within 3 days!
- Storm over new black hole issue
- 58 dead as migrant boat sinks off Mauritania coast
- Pele’s last Brazil jersey sells for 30,000 euros in Italy
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash