Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
Published: 11:12 AM, 10 December 2019 Updated: 02:07 PM, 10 December 2019
C-130 Hercules aircraft; File Photo
A military plane with 38 people aboard disappeared on Monday after taking off from the south of the country for a base in Antarctica, the Chilean Air Force said.
“A C-130 Hercules aircraft took off at 16:55 (19:55 GMT) from the city of Punta Arenas to the President Eduardo Frei Antarctic Base… 38 people are traveling,” the Air Force said in a statement.
Among the missing, 17 are crew members and 21 were passengers, who were traveling to provide logistical support.
A search and rescue operation is underway to recover the plane and missing persons, said Chile’s air force.
Meanwhile, three of those on board are civilians, according to news agency EFE.
The plane did not activate any distress signal while flying to Chile’s Presidente Eduardo Frei Montalva Base, on Antarctica’s King George Island, Air Force General Eduardo Mosqueira told local media adding, “The plane, whose polt has extensive experience, may have been forced to land after running out of fuel.”
In a tweet message, Chilean President Sebastián Piñera said that he was “dismayed” by the disappearance, and was monitoring the situation from the capital, Santiago.
In a subsequent statement, he added that “all national and foreign air and maritime means in the area” were assisting with the search.
- HC for committee to supply anti-rape device
- Schoolboy’s slit-throat body found at tea stall
- E-Passport to be launched Jan 22
- Madonna in love with youth aged 25
- Teenager run over by Kishoreganj Express
- Mother, daughter killed in Faridpur fire
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- Bangladesh to host Asia Cup
- NK Foreign Minister fired
- Drizzle likely in parts of country
- Cosmetics made with marijuana!
- Tigers Pak-tour homework begins today
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- 20 houses gutted in Ctg fire
- Verdict in CPB rally bomb attack case tomorrow
- Deadly virus’ outbreak in China, HSIA in high alert
- 60 Yemeni soldiers killed in Houthi missile attack
- Rohingya drug peddler killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Man commits suicide killing 4 in Maulvibazar
- Bone-shaking winter again!
- 7 devotees die at 2nd phase Ijtema
- Today’s Sports on TV
- 2nd Phase Akheri Munajat today
- President asks NDC graduates to uphold forces image
- Kathbirali releases in Switzerland
- Traditional horse race in Madhupur
- US military dispatches over 70 trucks to Syria
- Woman crushed under train in Gopalganj
- Farmers worried of Boro cultivation
- Students to bear computers instead of books
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Protests in Iran demanding Khamenei`s resignation
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked