Central Zone sniffs victory with Shanto’s double century
Published: 10:56 PM, 16 February 2020
Youngster Nazmul Hossain Shanto hit his maiden double century in the first class cricket as Walton Central Zone took them on the verge of a victory against South Zone in the third round game of Bangladesh Cricket League (BCL) at Sheikh Kamal International Cricket Stadium in Cox’s Bazar (ground-1) on Sunday.
Thanks to Shanto’s 253 not out, Central Zone set a winning target of 507 for South Zone, who in reply ended the day on 159-4. They still need 348 runs with six wickets at hands, which looked highly unlikely.
Resuming the day on 209-6, Central Zone declared the second innings on 385- 8 with Shanto single-handedly guiding the side. He struck 25 fours and nine sixes in his 310 ball-253 not out.
The second best was Raqibul Hasan’s 39, which gave a testament of how one- man show was Central Zone’s second innings. Zabid Hossain with 36 was the other notable contributor.
Shanto reached his maiden double ton off 291 balls which meant his last 53 runs came off just 19 balls. South Zone’s Nasum Ahmed returned figures of 4-85 while Shafiul Islam took 2-48.
South Zone whose strategic move of declaring the first innings on 114-4 now backfired, started the chase in disastrous fashion with Shahriar Nafees being out cheaply. Anamul Haque Bijoy and Fazle Mahmud shared an 87-run partnership before the latter was dismissed on 25.
Anamul Haque Bijoy was removed after hitting five fours and seven sixes in his 119 ball-87. Before the bails were drawn, Shamsur Rahman Shuvo was batting on 44, with Nasum Ahmed on 1. Central Zone’s Mehidy Hasan Miraz picked up 2-55.
- Bengali Drama on Coronavirus issue
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- Sani asks Shakib about his silence
- Coronavirus: First-class cricketers donate 15-day salary
- DU to remain closed till Apr 11, Noboborsho programs postponed
- Primary class on Sangsad TV begins April 5
- Australia scientists begin test of potential COVID-19 vaccines
- Share market closed till April 11
- Request for 1yr VAT suspension in garment industry
- Britain, France and Germany send medical aid to Iran
- 8 Habiganj people test negative for coronavirus
- Holiday bank hour extended
- Youth shot dead by BSF along Thakurgaon border
- 2 corona deaths reported in Qatar are Bangladeshi
- Does mosquito spread COVID-19?
- 18 Bangladeshi die of coronavirus in NY 24 hrs
- Night temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Law minister condoles death of Shamsur Rahman
- Singer Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus transforms before revealing symptoms: Study
- 2 arrested in Gazipur for spreading coronavirus rumors
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- England plans to return field by early May
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19