Categories of Zakat Recipients
Published: 02:31 PM, 15 May 2019
Zakat, the word means ‘purification’ or ‘growth’, is mandatory for all Muslims who are financially able to give a minimum of 2.5% of their accumulated wealth for the benefit of the poor.
Indonesia, Malaysia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Yemen, which is about 17% of the world’s estimated Muslim population, indicates that in these countries alone at least US$5.7 billion is currently collected in Zakat each year, according to a report by Global Humanitarian Assistance.
It is estimated that the global volume of Zakat collected each year through formal channels is, at the very least, in the tens of billions of dollars. If we also consider Zakat paid through informal channels, the actual amount could be in the hundreds of billions of dollars.
Let's look at the Quranic verse that regulates Zakat. Sura Tawba (6) in aya 60 identifies the categories of recipients of Zakat.
"The offerings given for the sake of Allah are meant only for
• the poor and
• the needy, and
• those who are in charge thereof,
• and those whose hearts are to be won over,
• and for the freeing of human beings from bondage,
• and for those who are overburdened with debts,
• and for every struggle in God's cause, and
• for the wayfarer:
this is an ordinance from God - and God is all-knowing, wise."
The definition of poor would differ from place to place as well as on the size of a family. Some 767 million people in the world live on an earning less than $1.90 a day. In the US, the poverty line for a single person is about $12,150 and for a family of 4, it is $25,100.
The needy is defined as the one who is having difficulty in meeting his/her basic needs met properly. Basic needs include food, clothing and a place to live as well as medicine if they are needed. It may also include transportation if the needy person requires it for going to work. They may be earning over the poverty line but may not be in a position to take care of their medicine or food, transportation or clothing properly.
Those who are in charge thereof
It includes people who manage zakat funds whether in masajid or in other institutions. If an Imam is involved in collecting Zakat funds, he can be qualified to receive from such collections.
Those whose hearts have to be won over
It includes all those people who may not have heard about Islam or who may have a negative attitude towards Islam and Muslims. In this category are included individuals and groups involved in public relations work for Islam, Muslim groups engaged in interfaith and inter-communal work, Muslim media that is primarily devoted to promoting Islam, universities, and colleges that are teaching Islam to non-Muslims.
For freeing of human beings from bondage
There are 40 million people living in slavery in our world today. There are about 42 million girls, women, boys and transgender who are forced to sell their bodies to others because they have no other means to earn their livelihood. Also, there are about one million families that due to poverty are forced to sell their children to others
And [for] those who are overburdened with debts
Burdened by debts include those people who may be above the poverty line and whose basic needs may also be covered but who are burdened by debt to such an extent that they may not carry out their household responsibilities properly.
And [for every struggle] in God's cause
It includes those who are out there to spread the word of God and who are standing up for social justice and equality and against oppression.
[for] the wayfarer
Those who are travelers with little means or displaced people including refugees or even homeless.
The distribution is not confined to Muslims only. It is not limited to non-relatives as relatives as well as family members who are in this situation may also be the recipient.
How should zakat be distributed?
It can be done individually or it can be done through organizations and Masajid who have expertise in this area.
The ideal situation would be to have a central body in every state or city to collect zakat funds in a transparent manner. The collection groups and individuals should educate the community about centralizing the resources and then through consultation with the trusted people of the community distribute to the recipients in each category.
What is important to realize is that if the zakat is distributed through agencies and masjid and institutions, then the community must be informed about its distribution. In other words, there must be absolute transparency in zakat collection and distribution. - Islami City
- 349 Ansar members infected with COVID-19
- Producer Mozammel Haque Sarker dies
- Keep your mouth shut: Police Chief advises Trump
- Biman cancels flights for passenger crisis
- Stolen Tk60 lakh of National Bank recovered
- ‘Ultimate repercussion’ if US hurt China’s interests
- BNP office fluxed of banner-festoon; neither activity, no activist
- Smith not to play in Aus ‘due to IPL’ if necessary
- Child among 4 another contracted COVID-19 in Nandail
- Light rain likely at many places
- Schoolgirl committed suicide for unable to see Star Jalsha serial
- Raw turmeric to boost immunity
- New Ebola outbreak in Congo amid coronavirus
- WHO will continue to cooperate with the United States
- Hearing on writ challenging bus fare hike today
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Raj Kapoor’s death anniversay today
- Lip shape helps to understand your partner behavior!
- 16 more contracted coronavirus in Feni
- Mother died to stop daughters’ quarrel in Barishal
- Coronavirus situation getting worse in Mumbai
- Child’s floating body recovered in Kushtia
- First ever virtual ECNEC meeting today
- Spain records zero deaths in last 24 hours
- George Floyd died of asphyxia
- 4 more tested COVID-19 positive at Domar
- Sylhet reports 49 fresh coronavirus cases
- COVID-19 cases in Chattogram exceed 3,000
- 2 individuals fined Tk 28 lakh for cutting hill in Chattogram
- Moscow eases lockdown despite infections continue to rise
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Offices resume from May 31
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Mahathir expelled from party
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000