Candidates start election campaign
Published: 09:09 PM, 24 April 2018
In the Khulna City Corporation election, symbols have been allocated among candidates contesting for mayor and councillor.
Meanwhile, Returning Officer Yunus Ali distributed the symbols among the candidates from 9:00 am at Election Commission office in Boyra area.
In the KCC election, a total of five mayoral candidates, 148 general councillor and 38 reserved-seat female councillor candidates are competing.
For mayoral post, BNP backed candidate Nazrul Islam Manju got ‘sheaf of paddy’ as the symbol and Awami League-backed candidate Talukder Abdul Khalek got ‘boat’ symbol.
Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB) backed candidate Mizanur Rahman Babu got ‘sickle’, Jatiya Party candidate SM Safikur Rahman Mushfik got ‘plough’, Islami Andolan Bangladesh candidate Mojammel Haque got ‘hand fan’.
However, The mayoral candidates of the Khulna City Corporation (KCC) polls have officially started their promotional campaigns.
Awami League nominated mayoral candidate Talukdar Abdul Khalek inaugurated the official campaigning by holding a press conference at Khulna Press Club. He also launched his website during the event.
Meanwhile, after completing prayers at the party’s office, BNP mayoral candidate Nazrul Islam officially started asking for votes on the sheaf of paddy symbol.
Leader of the 20-party alliance, Nazrul Islam received his symbol, the sheaf of paddy, and officially started campaigning. On Tuesday, he visited the graves of his parents in Tootpara graveyard.
After receiving his symbol, he along with other worker-supporters of the party held prayers. Afterwards, he asked for votes by distributing leaflets. The 20-party alliance members and leaders were present at the time.
KCC Election Returning Officer Md Yunus Ali said the candidates received their symbols on Tuesday morning.
Yunus Ali also said Awami League nominated candidate Talukdar Abdul Khalek was given the boat symbol, BNP nominated candidate Nazrul Islam received sheaf of paddy symbol, Jatiya Party nominated Shafiqur Rahman received the plough symbol, Islami Andolan Bangladesh nominated candidate Maulana Muzammil Haque received the hand fan symbol and Bangladesh Communist Party nominated candidate Mizanur Rahman Babu received the sickle symbol.
In the KCC polls, five candidates are in the mayoral race, 148 general ward candidates in 31 general wards and 38 councillor candidates in the 10 wards reserved for women. There are 31 general and 10 reserved wards have a total of 4,96,454 voters.
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Tigers look for Cardiff 2005 encore in Nottingham
- WC: Bangladesh meets Australia today
- Robber killed in Fatullah gunfight
- Youth killed in Mohammadpur gunfight
- Sohel Taj’s nephew rescued
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges