Campaign gains momentum
Published: 09:36 PM, 26 April 2018
Pic: Daily Bangladesh
With only 18 days left, campaign for the upcoming election of Khulna City Corporation (KCC), scheduled to be held on May 15, has gained momentum.
After getting the allocation, all the candidates for the post of mayor and councillors and even candidates of general and women reserved seats have been continuing the campaign from early morning to midnight.
Many of the candidates opened election office at the important points and intersections as per election rules.
There are five candidates for the mayoral post. They are Awami League-backed candidate and former mayor Talukder Abdul Khaleque (Boat), BNP backed candidate Nazrul Islam Manju (Paddy-Stack), Jatiya Party-backed candidate Shafiqur Rahman Mushfiq (Plough), Islami Andolon backed candidate Mowlana Muzammel Haque(Handfan) and CPB backed candidate Mizanur Rahman Babu(Scythe).
Meanwhile, 148 aspirants are contesting for 31 general councillor posts and 38 women for 10 reserved seats of councillors.
There are 4,93,092 voters including 2,44,109 women to cast their votes in 289 centres of the election.
Md. Younus Ali, Khulna Regional Election Commissioner said four observation team are observing everyday and following candidates` code of conducts.
He said if they witness any irregularities they would submit the report along with evidence to Khulna EC office and EC would take action against the accused candidates as per election rules.
Younus Ali added we are taking preparation to make the poll a total success and the voters will cast their votes in a free, fair and festive mood.
Meanwhile, main mayoral candidates Khaleque and Manju passing their campaign hours at different city wards, bazaar, roads, offices and attended different professional bodies electoral meeting, gathering and view-exchange meeting.
Awami League-led 14-party alliances, professional bodies and people in all walks of life campaigning separately for Khaleque round the clock while BNP-Jamaat alliance 20-party led by Gayewshar Chandra Roy also campaigning in favour of Manju the last couple of days.
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- ‘BD hosting 1.2 mn Rohingyas refugees from Myanmar’
- Passengers suffer at Jamalpur station to collect tickets
- Bangladesh sought Saudi diplomats help for Rohingyas back
- Payra power plant protest leads to Chinese worker’s death
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry