Campaign gains momentum
Published: 09:36 PM, 26 April 2018
Pic: Daily Bangladesh
With only 18 days left, campaign for the upcoming election of Khulna City Corporation (KCC), scheduled to be held on May 15, has gained momentum.
After getting the allocation, all the candidates for the post of mayor and councillors and even candidates of general and women reserved seats have been continuing the campaign from early morning to midnight.
Many of the candidates opened election office at the important points and intersections as per election rules.
There are five candidates for the mayoral post. They are Awami League-backed candidate and former mayor Talukder Abdul Khaleque (Boat), BNP backed candidate Nazrul Islam Manju (Paddy-Stack), Jatiya Party-backed candidate Shafiqur Rahman Mushfiq (Plough), Islami Andolon backed candidate Mowlana Muzammel Haque(Handfan) and CPB backed candidate Mizanur Rahman Babu(Scythe).
Meanwhile, 148 aspirants are contesting for 31 general councillor posts and 38 women for 10 reserved seats of councillors.
There are 4,93,092 voters including 2,44,109 women to cast their votes in 289 centres of the election.
Md. Younus Ali, Khulna Regional Election Commissioner said four observation team are observing everyday and following candidates` code of conducts.
He said if they witness any irregularities they would submit the report along with evidence to Khulna EC office and EC would take action against the accused candidates as per election rules.
Younus Ali added we are taking preparation to make the poll a total success and the voters will cast their votes in a free, fair and festive mood.
Meanwhile, main mayoral candidates Khaleque and Manju passing their campaign hours at different city wards, bazaar, roads, offices and attended different professional bodies electoral meeting, gathering and view-exchange meeting.
Awami League-led 14-party alliances, professional bodies and people in all walks of life campaigning separately for Khaleque round the clock while BNP-Jamaat alliance 20-party led by Gayewshar Chandra Roy also campaigning in favour of Manju the last couple of days.
- Uthappa eyeing India WC team comeback
- COVID-19 patient escapes from Dhaka now at Rajbari isolation
- ‘Do not visit cemetery, shrines on Shab-e-Barat night’
- Chhatak Youth missing on his way to Turkey
- Popular singer John Prine dies from coronavirus
- Now Cox’s Bazar lockdown
- COVID-19 death toll surpasses 83,000
- 34 samples collected for corona test from Bogura
- British PM Boris Johnson remains stable in ICU
- 3 houses under lockdown in Cumilla
- Father-daughter killed in Jhenaidah road crash
- Nation ecstatic over arrest of Bangabandhu`s killer Majed: Tofail
- Coronavirus affected JnU student on recovery process
- US Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigns
- Directors Guild stood by drama directors
- Workers killed as truck ditched in Sirajganj
- Farmer who died isolation ward tested negative for coronavirus
- 39 new suspects in Ctg. found negative for COVID-19
- ‘No legal bar to execute Majed’s death sentence’
- First coronavirus case confirmed in Araihazar
- Coronavirus existence not found in four samples of Narail
- One arrested with Yaba in Tangail
- Hotel owners jailed for disobeying ban order
- Sweeper dies with corona symptoms in Rangpur
- 39 of the 54 new coronavirus patients in Dhaka
- Killer Majed`s death warrant issued
- 3 more die from coronavirus, 54 new infected
- Hajj registration process extended till Apr 16
- Holy Shab-E-Barat tomorrow
- Rain likely, temperature may fall
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- 33 coronavirus patients recovered
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus