Call for ensuring proper utilisation of gender budget
Published: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018
Speakers at a seminar here on Tuesday urged the government to strengthen monitoring to ensure the proper utilization of funds allocated for the projects taken for women empowerment.
"It's often found that projects taken for women empowerment lack strong monitoring. As a result, funds allocated under the gender budget are not utilised properly," said Dhaka University teacher Dr Sayema Haque Bidisha while making a presentation on the issue at the office of Manusher Janno Foundation (MJF) in the city.
The seminar was addressed by MJF Executive Director Shaheen Anam, Deputy Secretary of the Labour and Employment Ministry Munir Chowdhury, Programme Head (Migration) of Brac Shariful Hasan, Executive Director of Safety & Right Sarker Ali Mina and MJF Gender Adviser Banasree Mitra Neogi.
In her presentation titled 'A Qualitative Analysis of Gender Budget of Ministry of Labour and Employment and Ministry of Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment for Employment of Women', Dr Sayema, an associate professor at the DU Economics department, showed different aspects of fund utilisation of gender budget.
She said it is commonly seen that the funds allocated for the gender budget of different ministries are curtailed while the revised budget is prepared.
Even, there is no system to monitor whether the fund is being properly utilised or not, the DU teacher lamented.
Shaheen Anam said the gender budget will fail to empower the womenfolk of society unless the fund utilisation is strongly monitored.
Munir Chowdhury said the government is trying to utilise its funds properly for women empowerment.
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- HC stays Primary recruitment test result of 14 districts
- Youth wants Mir’s daughter number!
- Miller encourages voters to cast votes
- Science-Technology Fair begins in Adamdighi
- 3 brother detained for stabbing elder
- RAB detained 4 robbers in Capital
- After 5 Tk’s food students getting toilet
- Conflict of authority hampers academic process
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- DU expels 63 students for life
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Mashrafe playing despite 14 stitches in hand
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- DNCC, DSCC polls: No motorcycle ply for 72 hrs