Call for ensuring proper utilisation of gender budget
Published: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018
Speakers at a seminar here on Tuesday urged the government to strengthen monitoring to ensure the proper utilization of funds allocated for the projects taken for women empowerment.
"It's often found that projects taken for women empowerment lack strong monitoring. As a result, funds allocated under the gender budget are not utilised properly," said Dhaka University teacher Dr Sayema Haque Bidisha while making a presentation on the issue at the office of Manusher Janno Foundation (MJF) in the city.
The seminar was addressed by MJF Executive Director Shaheen Anam, Deputy Secretary of the Labour and Employment Ministry Munir Chowdhury, Programme Head (Migration) of Brac Shariful Hasan, Executive Director of Safety & Right Sarker Ali Mina and MJF Gender Adviser Banasree Mitra Neogi.
In her presentation titled 'A Qualitative Analysis of Gender Budget of Ministry of Labour and Employment and Ministry of Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment for Employment of Women', Dr Sayema, an associate professor at the DU Economics department, showed different aspects of fund utilisation of gender budget.
She said it is commonly seen that the funds allocated for the gender budget of different ministries are curtailed while the revised budget is prepared.
Even, there is no system to monitor whether the fund is being properly utilised or not, the DU teacher lamented.
Shaheen Anam said the gender budget will fail to empower the womenfolk of society unless the fund utilisation is strongly monitored.
Munir Chowdhury said the government is trying to utilise its funds properly for women empowerment.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor