Call for ensuring proper utilisation of gender budget
Published: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 08:33 PM, 27 November 2018
Speakers at a seminar here on Tuesday urged the government to strengthen monitoring to ensure the proper utilization of funds allocated for the projects taken for women empowerment.
"It's often found that projects taken for women empowerment lack strong monitoring. As a result, funds allocated under the gender budget are not utilised properly," said Dhaka University teacher Dr Sayema Haque Bidisha while making a presentation on the issue at the office of Manusher Janno Foundation (MJF) in the city.
The seminar was addressed by MJF Executive Director Shaheen Anam, Deputy Secretary of the Labour and Employment Ministry Munir Chowdhury, Programme Head (Migration) of Brac Shariful Hasan, Executive Director of Safety & Right Sarker Ali Mina and MJF Gender Adviser Banasree Mitra Neogi.
In her presentation titled 'A Qualitative Analysis of Gender Budget of Ministry of Labour and Employment and Ministry of Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment for Employment of Women', Dr Sayema, an associate professor at the DU Economics department, showed different aspects of fund utilisation of gender budget.
She said it is commonly seen that the funds allocated for the gender budget of different ministries are curtailed while the revised budget is prepared.
Even, there is no system to monitor whether the fund is being properly utilised or not, the DU teacher lamented.
Shaheen Anam said the gender budget will fail to empower the womenfolk of society unless the fund utilisation is strongly monitored.
Munir Chowdhury said the government is trying to utilise its funds properly for women empowerment.
- ‘Mayabati’ gets uncut clearance
- Heat weave may abate
- Probe body formed over DIG Mizan’s graft scandal
- ‘Systemic failure’ prevents strategy over Rohingya crisis
- Snake farming in Bangladesh
- Southern China earthquake kills 12, injures 134
- Khaleda Zia gets bail in two defamation cases
- Egyptian ex-leader Morsi buried in Cairo
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Indian magician drowns attempting Houdini trick
- PM greets tigers
- ‘I am happy that we are still in World Cup’
- Brazil to face Venezuela early tomorrow
- Last phase voting in 20 UZs underway
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- JS budget session begins today
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament