Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
Published: 10:20 AM, 27 May 2019
Papua New Guinea Prime Minister Peter O`Neill
Peter O’Neill, the prime minister of Papua New Guinea, has resigned following a series of high-level defections from his government to the opposition.
O'Neill, who has been in office for seven years, has faced calls for his resignation for weeks over a range of issues. But after several more defections on Friday, he accepted he did not have the support to continue.
O'Neill, 54, told a news conference in capital Port Moresby that he would hand over office to former PM Sir Julius Chan.
"It is important that we maintain a certain amount of stability. We have heard the calls and we have agreed for a change of government," he said.
Sir Julius said he wanted a smooth transition to ensure stability in the South Pacific nation of 7.3 million people.
"I want to thank Prime Minister Peter O'Neill for all that he has done to bring this country (to where it is) today," he told journalists.
"We are not just going to be a caretaker government, we will work. I don't intend to be a lame duck. We will move this country forward."
However, the opposition said it had the support of enough MPs to form a new government.
In neighbouring Australia, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said he looked forward to working with Sir Julius "in the same way I have enjoyed such a strong friendship and relationship with Peter O'Neill".
"PNG is our closest friend and neighbour, there is just a small body of water between us," he told journalists in Canberra.
O'Neill has been under pressure over a range of issues, including a multi-billion-dollar gas project signed earlier this year with French company Total and the US firm ExxonMobil.
Although the project would almost double PNG's gas exports, local communities have raised fears that they would be excluded from the benefits.
PNG has rich reserves of copper, gold, and oil, but development has been hampered by public order issues, rugged terrain and disputes over land.
- Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
- Two killed as covered van hits pickup
- England, Australia to play WC Warm Up today
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Archer named in England World Cup squad
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- Mango bean to control diabetes
- 4 of a family killed in gas cylinder blast