“COVID-19 emerged in world’s various parts, only China reported it first”
Published: 03:32 PM, 10 October 2020 Updated: 03:36 PM, 10 October 2020
Denying the United States allegations that coronavirus has emerged from a bio-lab in Wuhan, China also rejected that it emanated from a wet market in the central Chinese city from bats or pangolins before infecting humans.
In its latest attempt to shift the blame for the emergence of the virus, Beijing on Friday claimed that COVID-19 broke out in the various parts of the world last year but China was the only one to have reported and acted first.
"The coronavirus is a new kind of virus as more and more facts emerge as reports reveal, we all know that the epidemic broke out in various places in the world at the end of last year, while China was the first to report the outbreak, identified the pathogen and shared the genome sequence with the world," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing.
Hua’s comments came in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s allegations of a cover-up by the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC).
The coronavirus crisis was infinitely made worse by the Chinese Communist Party’s cover-up, Pompeo said in Tokyo at the QUAD ministerial meeting of the US, India, Australia and Japan on Tuesday.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry statement was made as the World Health Organization (WHO) was gearing up to probe the origin of the deadly coronavirus.
Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported on Thursday that the WHO has given to Beijing a list of global experts to be sent to China to probe the origin of the coronavirus. The World Health body is awaiting its approval.
Hua, while refuting Pompeo’s charge of a cover-up, said that a high-level group of Chinese scientists first identified the person-to-person transmission due to coronavirus on January 19. After thorough research and investigation, China made the decision at the earliest and closed Wuhan city to the outside world and placed the most rigorous measures in isolating Wuhan city and Hubei province, Hua said.
She said that the CPC Politburo discussed the virus outbreak on the first day of the Lunar New Year in January and convened a meeting on the outbreak of its 31 provinces and municipalities, and activated the level one emergency response.
“On January 23 as China placed Wuhan on lockdown, there were only nine confirmed cases outside China and the US had only one. “On February 2, when the US closed its border to the Chinese citizens, the US only officially confirmed a dozen cases. Now the confirmed cases in the US exceeded 7.5 million and 2.10 lakh deaths,” she said.
“How could the most powerful country on earth with the best medical resources on hand screw up the tests so badly. Why hasn’t the US discovered this virus at the earliest and why hasn’t it taken prompt measures to test as many people as possible to prevent and control the spread of this virus?” Hua asked. - Press Trust of India (PTI)