CIA chief to brief lawmakers on Khashoggi murder: report
Published: 04:59 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 05:00 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
CIA director Gina Haspel has agreed to brief Senate leaders on what the agency knows about the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.
The briefing will take place on Tuesday, the Journal said, after the Central Intelligence Agency failed to take part when Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis spoke to senators on the issue last week.
Further details of the briefing were not available, and the CIA would not confirm or deny whether it would take place.
The spy agency is reported to have concluded with “medium-to-high confidence” that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman directed the October 2 assassination of Khashoggi by a team of Saudis in the country’s consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
The veteran journalist was a strong critic of Prince Mohammed and had been resident in the United States, where he wrote about politics in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East for The Washington Post.
The Journal, the Post, and The New York Times have all reported that the CIA has evidence Prince Mohammed exchanged 11 messages with his close aide Saud al-Qahtani, who allegedly oversaw the murder, just before and after it took place.
The New York Times reported Monday that Haspel was furious over the leak of the CIA’s conclusions, which increased pressure on the White House to take strong actions against the Middle East powerhouse.
With relations with Riyadh already fraught, President Donald Trump has declined to accept the conclusion that the powerful heir to the Saudi throne approved the murder, saying there is no direct evidence of it.
“It could very well be that the crown prince had knowledge of this tragic event — maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!” Trump said in a statement on November 20.
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- ‘Bangabandhu Aviation & Aerospace University’ to be established
- Maritime ports advised to lower signal
- Close aide of Smriti Irani shot dead
- Cricket on moving ship! Video Viral
- Bangladesh achieve unique success in power services
- Temperature may rise (1-3)°C
- President returns home after 11 day
- Modi appointed as India’s PM for second term
- Bangladeshi shot dead in US
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Old warhorse Malinga keeps Sri Lanka dreaming
- Tigers to face Pakistan this afternoon
- S Africa to meet Windies today in WC warm-up
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Facebook plans cryptocurrency launch next year
- Don’t want to continue as CM, Mamata tells party
- `Special session` will be held with different arrangements
- Messi wins his sixth European Golden Shoe
- Bangladesh take on Pakistan in 1st warm-up tomorrow
- President to return home tomorrow
- Mannan leaves for Bangkok tomorrow
- Tk 20 labor cost for per mount rice in govt warehouse
- Road crash kills 3 in B`baria
- Experts seek bank’s effective role to develop entrepreneurs
- Ramadan: The best time to pay zakat
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Highest power generation recorded
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!