Bus plunge in North Korea kills 32 Chinese tourists
Published: 08:48 PM, 23 April 2018
Thirty-two Chinese tourists and four North Koreans were killed when a bus plunged from a bridge in North Korea, Chinese officials and state media said Monday.
Two other Chinese nationals were injured in Sunday`s accident south of the capital Pyongyang, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a regular press briefing.
Lu said China was investigating the cause of the accident and had deployed a team, including medical experts, to North Korea to assist with the emergency rescue and treatment operations.
The ministry provided few details but China`s official Xinhua news agency reported later that the bus had fallen from a bridge in North Hwanghae Province on Sunday night.
China was informed about the accident on Sunday night and its embassy personnel in Pyongyang rushed to the scene, the foreign ministry said in a statement.
President Xi Jinping urged China`s foreign ministry and the embassy in North Korea to take `all necessary means` to handle the accident and called for an all-out effort to help the injured and deal with the deceased, according to Xinhua.
The vast majority of foreign tourists to North Korea are Chinese, with the Cold War-era allies sharing a long land border and operating flights between the two countries.
Western visitors to the North once averaged around 5,000 a year, but numbers have been hit recently by a US travel ban Americans accounted for around 20 percent of the market and official warnings from other countries.
Tens of thousands of Chinese tourists are believed to visit the North every year, with many crossing via train through the Chinese border city of Dandong. For some, North Korea provides a window into what Communist China may have looked like decades ago.
Chinese tourism to the North has continued even though Beijing has enforced a slew of United Nations sanctions over Pyongyang`s nuclear weapons program.
North Hwanghae province lies south of the capital Pyongyang and stretches to the border with South Korea. More recently, the area hosted a manufacturing complex operated with the South.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus