Burkina Faso army says 32 ‘terrorists’ killed in two operations
Published: 11:11 PM, 17 November 2019
The Burkina Faso army said on Sunday it had killed 32 “terrorists” in two operations in the north of the country after an attack on a patrol.
One soldier was killed in the operations, which come less than a month after 37 people were killed in an ambush on a convoy transporting employees of a Canadian mining company.
The army said 24 people were killed in the first operation on Friday and a further eight in a second on Saturday.
The first operation in Yorsala in Loroum province saw a number of women who “had been held and used by the terrorists as sex slaves” freed.
Arms, ammunition and other materials were also recovered in the second operation on the outskirts of Bourzanga in Bam province, the army statement added.
The impoverished and politically fragile Sahel country has been struggling to quell a rising jihadist revolt that has claimed hundreds of lives since early 2015.
The attacks — typically hit-and-run raids on villages, road mines and suicide bombings — have claimed nearly 700 lives across the country since early 2015, according to an AFP toll.
Almost 500,000 people have also been forced to flee their homes.
The attacks have been claimed by a range of jihadist groups, including Al- Qaeda and the Islamic State.
The country’s badly equipped, poorly trained and underfunded security forces have been unable to stem the violence, which has intensified throughout 2019 to become almost daily.
The Sahel region, including Burkina Faso’s neighbours Mali and Niger, has been afflicted by the violence despite the presence of the regional G5 Sahel force as well as French and US troops.
- Kurigram Freedom Day tomorrow
- Storm over new black hole issue
- China to invest $9.11m in Adamjee EPZ
- Portugal resists US appeal to bar Huawei from 5G network bid
- Anyone can donate kidney on humanitarian ground: HC
- Gazipur spinning mill fire doused
- ICAB arranges programme on business leadership
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- House will draft Trump impeachment articles, Pelosi says
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- DMP detained 49 in anti-narcotics drive
- ‘Government will take legal action against chaos in court’
- 9 killed in India’s Madhya Pradesh
- College girl dies in Gazipur train accident
- ACC recovers 125 sacks of rice in Cumilla
- E-Passport to be introduced on Dec 15: Momen
- 50 Yrs of naming ‘Bangladesh`
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- AG minister wants to export agricultural products
- Fire in Tongi factory: 11-unit firefighter to douse
- Accused dies in court praying for bail
- Bridges on Bhola-Barishal route by 2025
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- OC Moazzem gets 8-yr jail
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- Singer Asif turns actor
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- Trump signs Hong Kong human rights act
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM opens 4 dev schemes incl 5 new ships
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight