Bumper jackfruit production likely in Rangpur region
Published: 06:08 PM, 25 February 2019
Officials and experts of the Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) are expecting a bumper production of jackfruit this season following excellent sprouting in Rangpur agriculture region.
“Excellent growth of tender jackfruit after massive blooming amid favourable climatic conditions predicts its bumper production this time,” said Horticulture Specialist of the DAE at its regional office here Khondker Md Mesbahul Islam.
The farmers cultivated jackfruit on 2,877 hectares of land and produced over 1.02-lakh tonnes of the fruit worth over Taka 51.20 crore in Rangpur, Gaibandha, Kurigram, Nilphamari and Lalmonirhat districts of the region last season.
“The farmers have cultivated jackfruit on 3,050 hectares of land this time in the region,” he said predicting production of around 1.06-lakh tonnes of the fruit worth Taka 55 crore if the climatic conditions remained favourable during the next few months.
Islam suggested the farmers to take proper care of the growing tender fruits and maintain cleanliness at the root level soil on the orchards and homesteads to prevent attacks by harmful insects like ‘giant mealy bug’ for getting excellent jackfruit production.
Talking to BSS, jackfruit growers Abu Hanif, Solaiman Alai and Mokhlesur Rahman of different villages here said they were expecting a bumper output of jackfruit as the tender fruits are becoming bigger in size following recent rainfalls. However, they requested the authorities concerned to take early measures for ensuring adequate marketing facilities for fair price of jackfruit as they did not get better price even after getting repeated bumper production of the fruit in recent years.
Fruit trader Babu Mian at Rangpur Bazar said bigger jackfruit traders, as well as their representatives from Dhaka and other places, would communicate with their local agents soon to purchase the fruit from the major markets in the region. “I am expecting a bumper production and better business of jackfruit this season in the region,” said local jackfruit trader Zahidur Rahman at Paglapeer Bazar in Sadar upazila of Rangpur. Similarly, jackfruit growers Aminur Rahman of village Najirdigar, Abdus Salam of village Mominpur and Echhahaq Ali of Kathihara village here predicted bumper jackfruits output this season.
Deputy Director of the DAE at its regional office Md. Moniruzzaman said huge buds appeared in over 95 percent of jackfruit trees and growth of tender fruits is progressing superbly predicting bumper production of the fruit this season.
- Bangladeshis should be proud of their soldiers: Antonio Guterres
- Former SCC mayor Kamran tests positive for COVID-19
- Natore reports three new COVID-19 patients
- Dr. Nahid brought to Suhrawardy Hospital
- 29 more test positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- Fiji declares itself Coronavirus-free
- Foreign currency reserve, annual remittances hit record highs
- Qatar completes third World Cup stadium
- Coronavirus is ‘weakening’, now claims US doctors
- Govt to recruit 3,000 medical technologists-technicians
- COVID-19 cases reached 1281 in Cumilla
- Youths in country mostly infected with coronavirus
- Electrician dies falling from under-construction building
- 123 officials get promoted as joint secretaries
- Don Dawood Ibrahim and his wife infected with COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Cox’s Bazar declared as country’s first ‘red zone’
- Bank official among 3 of a family hacked in Pabna, bodies found 3 days later
- ‘Environment care would have made easier to combat virus’
- Shechwashebak League leader killed in Bogura
- Gazipur coronavirus cases surpass 1,500
- New routine for secondary classes on TV released
- Four families placed under lockdown in Brahmanbaria
- 3 killed, 7 injured in knife attack at China supermarket
- Tea seller anxious despite his son gets GPA-5
- Consumers suffering in ‘spooky electricity bills’
- India breaks all records of COVID-19 cases in a day
- Sherpur reports six new coronavirus infected cases
- Schoolboy`s body found in pond
- Charging extra fare is breach of promise: Quader
- 5 day labourers missing as boat capsize in Padma
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- COVID-19: Over 9,000 people recovered in country
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day