Bumper jackfruit production likely in Rangpur region
Published: 06:08 PM, 25 February 2019
Officials and experts of the Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) are expecting a bumper production of jackfruit this season following excellent sprouting in Rangpur agriculture region.
“Excellent growth of tender jackfruit after massive blooming amid favourable climatic conditions predicts its bumper production this time,” said Horticulture Specialist of the DAE at its regional office here Khondker Md Mesbahul Islam.
The farmers cultivated jackfruit on 2,877 hectares of land and produced over 1.02-lakh tonnes of the fruit worth over Taka 51.20 crore in Rangpur, Gaibandha, Kurigram, Nilphamari and Lalmonirhat districts of the region last season.
“The farmers have cultivated jackfruit on 3,050 hectares of land this time in the region,” he said predicting production of around 1.06-lakh tonnes of the fruit worth Taka 55 crore if the climatic conditions remained favourable during the next few months.
Islam suggested the farmers to take proper care of the growing tender fruits and maintain cleanliness at the root level soil on the orchards and homesteads to prevent attacks by harmful insects like ‘giant mealy bug’ for getting excellent jackfruit production.
Talking to BSS, jackfruit growers Abu Hanif, Solaiman Alai and Mokhlesur Rahman of different villages here said they were expecting a bumper output of jackfruit as the tender fruits are becoming bigger in size following recent rainfalls. However, they requested the authorities concerned to take early measures for ensuring adequate marketing facilities for fair price of jackfruit as they did not get better price even after getting repeated bumper production of the fruit in recent years.
Fruit trader Babu Mian at Rangpur Bazar said bigger jackfruit traders, as well as their representatives from Dhaka and other places, would communicate with their local agents soon to purchase the fruit from the major markets in the region. “I am expecting a bumper production and better business of jackfruit this season in the region,” said local jackfruit trader Zahidur Rahman at Paglapeer Bazar in Sadar upazila of Rangpur. Similarly, jackfruit growers Aminur Rahman of village Najirdigar, Abdus Salam of village Mominpur and Echhahaq Ali of Kathihara village here predicted bumper jackfruits output this season.
Deputy Director of the DAE at its regional office Md. Moniruzzaman said huge buds appeared in over 95 percent of jackfruit trees and growth of tender fruits is progressing superbly predicting bumper production of the fruit this season.
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Worker died as fell down from Rooppur Project’s const building
- How to get HSC result
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Technical Board attains 82.62pc pass rate
- Madrasah Board attains 88.56pc pass rate
- 47,286 gets GPA-5
- Pass rate 73.93 pc
- HSC results handed over to PM
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ today
- 2 drug traders killed in gunfight with BGB
- HSC exam results today
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat